cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Controller Image Upgradation

sanoj.zubair
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco recommends image upgrade procedure on 4402 WLC to the latest release 4.1 to be performed in three steps:-

1)3.1.105.0 ------>3.2.78.0

2)3.2.78.0 ------->3.2.195.13

3)3.2.195.13------>4.1.185.0

Unfortunately, while upgrade from 3.1.105.0 ------>3.2.78.0

I got the below error message as shown on both CLI and GUI as well.

"TFTP Failure while storing in flash!"

I have tried Tftpd32 which Cisco recommends also tried other TFTP versions a couple of times but resulted in the same error.

Could someone please suggest TFTP server software package which will support file transfers larger than 32 MB ?

Awaiting your reply and valuable suggestions.

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sanoj,

Tftpd32 will work fine. The error which you are getting could be because of corrupted image. Can you try downloading image again from CCO and try upgrade?

Regards,

Ankur

As the WLC is in production, we have to schedule a downtime for the same, should not be just a work around of trying downloading image again.

Is there any other option which we can try out because what if we end up getting the same error?

What about an an option of uploading through FTP ?

Hey Sanoj,

I've got similar restrictions on some of my controllers. One thing to keep in mind is that the controller won't actually load the new OS until you reboot. Depending on how restrictive your change control process is, you may be able to attempt loadint the software outside of your change window. Once you have a successful tftp transfer, you can schedule a window for a reboot, which will actually load the new OS. I wouldn't leave too much time between the tftp transfer and then reboot, but I understand your frustration with the tftp transfers... I have about an 80% failue rate on tftp transfers (using tftpd32) over any wan link, no matter how high I set my timeouts and retransmits.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card