cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you copy a Catalyst 3500XL existing IOS software?

stephentaylor
Level 1
Level 1

Can you copy a Catalyst 3500XL existing IOS software using for example TFTP and if so how?

The Cisco Catalyst 3500 series XL shows the message "The system is unable to boot automatically because there are no bootable files to boot"

Also the "XMODEM: flash:[IOS filename]" command is not currently recognised.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is the procedure as i have used it often already:

rename flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC3b.bin flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC12.bin

!! OR !!

rename flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XU.bin flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC12.bin

delete flash:html/*

tar /x tftp://10.67.2.1/c3500xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC12.tar flash:

Change the filenames to match your version.

Remember you need to be running in enable-mode to perform these actions.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Here is the upgrade procedure for the 3500:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc10/ol256206.html

You can install only the .bin files which would be fine for me (CLI-only) but leaves you without the GUI configuration tools.

Using xmodem requires a different syntax:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

After reading the Release Notes 12.0(5)WC10 I am still unable to install the IOS software.

I have been able to download the C3500 IOS Image software and save the file to my TFTP server.

On powering on the Catalyst 3500XL it defaults to the "switch:" default CLI prompt.

The 3500XL displays the following;

C3500XL Boot Loader (C3500-HBOOT-M) Version 12.0(5.2)XU, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE

The copy command shows the following format;

"copy [-b ] "

The "dir" command shows the following details;

List of filesystems currently registered:

flash[0]: (read-write)

xmodem[1]: (read-only)

null[2]: (read-write)

bs[3]: (read-only)

The "dir flash:" command shows the following details;

Directory of flash:/

2 drwx 192 lost+found

3608576 bytes available (4096 bytes used)

This is the procedure as i have used it often already:

rename flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC3b.bin flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC12.bin

!! OR !!

rename flash:c3500XL-c3h2s-mz-120.5-XU.bin flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC12.bin

delete flash:html/*

tar /x tftp://10.67.2.1/c3500xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC12.tar flash:

Change the filenames to match your version.

Remember you need to be running in enable-mode to perform these actions.

regards,

Leo

Recovering from Corrupted Software

Switch software can be corrupted during an upgrade, by downloading the wrong file to the switch, and by deleting the image file. In all these cases, the switch does not pass the power-on self-test (POST), and there is no connectivity.

The following procedure uses the XMODEM Protocol to recover from a corrupt or wrong image file. There are many software packages that support the XMODEM protocol, and this procedure is largely dependent on the emulation software you are using.

The following procedure is how I under took to recover a switch. From my limited knowledge there are slightly different ways in recovering a switch dependent upon the given circumstances.

There is a host of Cisco documentation available however may I make reference to ?Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL?.

When the Catalyst 3500 series XL, WS-C35 was handed to me the switch powered up and displayed the ?switch:? prompt.

The switch ?dir flash:? command displayed the following details;

switch: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 drwx 192 lost+found

3608576 bytes available (4096 bytes used)

switch:

switch:

switch: flash_init:

Initializing Flash?

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...

CCCCC...........................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

File "xmodem:" successfully copied to "flash:c3500xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin"

switch:

(When you activate the above command and if using HyperTerminal you must immediately select Transfer, then Send File and the name of the IOS image file from the HyperTerminal menu bar.)

switch: boot

Notes:

I used Microsoft?s HyperTerminal version 5.1 to access the switch via its console port.

When configuring a switch to save having to type in each new long command into HyperTerminal I used the facility of Microsoft Word to previously save then copy and paste these command(s) from within a Word document into HyperTerminal.

You may also copy and paste information displayed in a HyperTerminal session into a Word document too.

The switch ?copy xmodem: flash:? command has a space on either side of ?xmodem:? parameter.

Xmodem transfer is a very slow procedure.

I down loaded a new Cisco IOS image file by using the following link which then directed my self to another page;

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=268438077

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: