cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping response when Validate reply data fails

nwevans
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know what the response code is if you have selected "Validate reply data" in an extended ping, and the validation fails. I can only find the following response codes, which don't seem to cover it:

!

Each exclamation point indicates receipt of a reply.

Each period indicates the network server timed out while waiting for a reply.

U

A destination unreachable error PDU was received.

Q

Source quench (destination too busy).

M

Could not fragment.

?

Unknown packet type.

&

Packet lifetime exceeded.

2 Replies 2

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

If the extended ping command from Router A fails, it means that there is a routing problem. I think you have to specify whether or not to validate the reply data. The default is no. When there is congestion, the exceeding traffic (over the allocated limit) from LLQ can be dropped.

Thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure you've posted your reply on the correct question. Mine had nothing to do with Low Latency Queuing.

I am specifying "Validate Reply Data" - Yes, this means that the router that originated the ICMP-Echo will check the ICMP-CRC in the Echo-Reply. I want to know what the error message is if that validation fails.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco