Views
Helpful
Replies

IfDown Events not showing up in DFM

mnlatif
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have verified by running Ethereal on the DFM Server that it is receiving IfDown Traps from various switches but these events are not being shown\coming up in the "Alerts and Activities" ? All these interfaces were put in "Un-Managed" state by default.

Does an Interface has to be in the "Managed State" before DFM will act on any Trap specific to that interface ?

If Yes then How can I make a Bulk Change to convert all the "Trunk Interfaces\Ports" to Managed State ?

What criteria does DFM follow, when discovering an interface and putting it into a Managed state instead of Un-Managed ?

Thanks,

Naman

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, an interface must be in a managed state before DFM will process any new events for that interface. Bulk management is not easily doable in DFM 2.x. In LMS 3.0, DFM 3.0 comes with bulk manage/unmanage scripts. For now, you will have to use the Detailed Device View, and go through each interface one-by-one.

Thanks. That sure is a lot of work with around 600 switches..!

Though I would think that it might have been more logical to at least put the Trunk Ports in Managed state by default.

\\ Naman

Trunk ports are put in a managed state by default. However, a DFM trunk port is not the same as a dot1q or ISL trunk port. DFM considers a port to be a trunk port if it is connected to another device that DFM is managing.

Absolutely true...!

That will make things a lot easier.

\\ Naman