cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco NAC Appliance deployment require CS-ACS?

sheidelbach
Level 1
Level 1

I've gone through all the partner training on the Cisco NAC appliance and mgmt station, and CiscoSecure ACS 4.0+ is mentioned just about everywhere in the user verification steps.

If a customer does not have CSACS, or AAA for that matter (say in just a MS Exchange environment), the NAC appliances can still be used, correct?

I'm assuming they can, but that leads to if any functionality/checks would be lost in that case, and if so, what?

Anybody have any ideas on that?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, you could use NAC with the local database for a client demonstration. This is actually my preferred method.

Of course, you would lose the central management functionality which comes with ACS or a hook to Active Directory via KTPass (This command-line tool enables an administrator to configure a non-Windows Server 2003 Kerberos service as a security principal in the Windows Server 2003 Active Directory).

Though by all means deploy NAC, even if you are simply want to demonstrate its functionality. Configure the authentication portion last, after your customer is happy with the demonstrated results.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: