New CCNA Self-Study Decisions

Unanswered Question
Sep 10th, 2007

Hello All,

I am interested in self study for the CCNA. I've previously studied heavily for this exam last year, but got sidetracked when I started a new job that required a lot of input. I am now determined to finish my study. As you know, Cisco has added the CCENT option and changed the requirements for the CCNA. I need some objective help:

I previously used Todd Lammle's Fifth Edition for CCNA study and found it quite useful. I also have a home lab with 2 2500 routers and I will be obtaining a switch soon. In your opinion, would it be better to purchase the 6th Edition Todd Lammle book which is centered around the 640-802 one-test option? Or, should I purchase the Cisco Press books that are geared toward the two-test path? Also, are the 2950 series switches still sufficient for CCNA self-study?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
mark.j.hodge Wed, 09/12/2007 - 04:42

If you have already studied hard for the old 640-801 exam I would stick with it. The last date to take it is 6 November.

From my experiance the Todd Lammle book may not be enough to pass the test, without extensive real world experiance. If you can I would get home of the Cisco Press books for the 640-801 test to suppliment the information. As in all things this is a subjective opinion.

Your current hardware should be sufficient for the 640-801 test, the routers are probably not good enough for the 640-802 version.

** please rate posts if helpfull **

Actions

This Discussion