cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ap-manager not communicating with network

tim.holden
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4400 LAN controller where the ap-manager port is on the same subnet and VLAN as the management port but I cannot ping the ap-manager IP nor will the LWAP associate to it. What could be my problem?

7 Replies 7

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

The AP-Manager is not a pingable address. The only address you can ping from the network is the Management IP address.

We'll need more information to help you with why your AP won't associate with the controller.

Hope this helps.

amir-k
Level 1
Level 1

I believe its normal not being able to ping the ap-manager interface.

With regards to the LWAP not associating with the controller, check the system time on the 4400 controller using show time and config time to correct if necessary.

Let me know how you go

engineerangelo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

What's the model of the AP you are using? How is the connection between the AP and the WLC?

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

As it has already been stated, the ap-manager is not pingable. This interface is used as the source for the LWAPP tunnel so all packets going in and out should be LWAPP encapsulated.

If you just want to verify that it is alive and that there isn't a dup-IP you can ping it from the VLAN's default gateway and check the arp cache. If the mac-address is one of the controller's you are fine, if not there is another device on the network that also has this address assigned.

Dear fellow,

We have the similar problem at our end. In our setup, for load balancing purposes, we are using both AP manager in active state. Some APs are associating with AP Manager1 while some are getting associated with AP Manager2. We also confirmed that setting is working perfectly fine. However, very interestingly in the arp cache of default router, we can only see the AP Manager1 ip address and its respective mac-address. We don't find the AP Manager2 ip and its mac-address. And ofcourse, these ip addresses are not pingable from default router (as stated in the discussion). We are running the code 3.2.150.10 on WLC 4402.

Can you please assist us in this regard, its much appreciated.

Thanks and regards.

Hi,

Have you tried on using just one single AP-manager interface? Do you really need to use 2 AP-manager interfaces?

Regards

Hi,

Singel AP-Manager interface works but there are some limitation given below:

With single AP-manager interface, on 4402, only 48 APs can be associated. For 50 APs you need to use second AP-Manager interface. We also want to achieve load balancing, using both AP-manager interfaces.

As mentioned above, two AP-manager interfaces works as well. Some APs are associated with AP-Manager1 while some are associated with second interface AP-Manager2. However we are not able to see the mac-address / ip address of AP-Manager interfaces on default gateway.

Regards.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card