cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 & Changing fa1 Type

TimothyGaray
Level 1
Level 1

We have an 1811 router with apparently two WAN ports (fa0 and fa1) and 8 switch ports.

I only need the one WAN port. Is it possible to change fa1 into a switchport like fa2 through fa9?

If I run show interface fa1 switchport, I get fa1 is not a switchable port.

I would simply like to make it part of VLAN1 and be able to plug a PC into it like the others.

IOS Version 12.4(6)T8

In the SDM configuration for that port, VLAN is not even an option; it's either static IP or dynamic IP.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Timothy

You really can not make the Fa1 into a switch port. I would not recommend it but it might be possible to configure no ip address on the interface and to configure bridging on the interface and use bridging to pass traffic to the VLAN.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hmm... was just curious. Not a critical thing.

What about the other way around? Can I turn any of the switching ports into a WAN port?

The summary screen on the SDM shows "Total Supported WAN: 3" and "Total WAN connections: 2". I'm assuming that means I can have 3 WAN ports but currently only have 2.

Timothy

I believe that if you wanted that you could configure another VLAN, put one of the switchports into that VLAN, configure the VLAN interface with an appropriate address, connect the switchport to a WAN connection and have another WAN connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

One other thing I hadn't considered is the internal v.92 modem. That actually may be counting as one of the possible WAN connections...?

Timothy

In terms of the way it would count that would be logical. I still believe that if you wanted an additional "WAN" port you could achieve that using a switchport and VLAN as I described.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

It's not that I actually wanted or needed another WAN port but I wondered how I would get one since it showed it could support 3. It may be that 2 are fa0 and fa1 and the 3rd is the analog modem.

I'm new to Cisco routers and configurations. We've been using SonicWALLs but have been having trouble. Trying a different solution now. Actually, more of getting tired of buying the cheaper stuff and being sorry for it later...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card