Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Yagi's P2P Through Glass Windows

Hi folks,

Looking for a 3 month temporary solution for a customer who needs to move some people out of his current building to a building across the street while they do repair work. The distance is approx 150'-200', complete line of site, both are second floor locations with office spaces that has windows that see each other. I'm looking for the easiest, not necessarily the best option. I'm thinking of mounting a yagi on each side on a "portable mast" (pvc in concrete in 5 gallon bucket) inside each building. I don't expect much attenuation from the windows, but would like some feedback. Also, since these yagi's and associated bridges are indoors, I should NOT need to worry about grounding or lightening suppressors - correct? Looking for validation, experience, caveats, etc...

Please help!

6 Replies 6

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Generally the glass isn't an issue.

HOWEVER, some of the modern glass used in new construction ("low-e" and similar) can incorporate materials that will kill the signal.

As always, a survey and good pilot program will ultimately tell the tale.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks! The buildings are both very old, single panes of glass so I'm not overly concerned either. No need to ground or lightening suppress either since everything is indoors? just doing a sanity check.

Have P2P setup running thru windows for approx 2 years with no issues. Should work fine as long as antennas don't get moved.

I know it sounds kinda wierd, but actually, I'd recommend (still) that you have a segment of fiber between the wireless and the rest of the LAN / network.

If you were to get a near hit, it it possible (likely? I dunno, how many storms do you get?) to put a spike on the line that can take out some of the more sensitive electronics.

This possibility is enhanced somewhat by the fact that you are using an antenna with a fair amount of gain.

So, I guess if you're a "belt & suspenders" kinda person, I'd say; "put in a fiber link".

If you don't mind the (minor) gamble, skip the fiber.

Good Luck

Scott

Given the older glass, and only 200', a Yagi is overkill. Should work, but I'd bet you could use any antenna, including the standard rubber duck. 'Course, after the temporary situation ends, it'll be nice to have spare Yagi's laying around...

He doesn't really say where he is. If it's prone to lots of rain (dust, sand, etc) it might be nice to have the extra margin that the Yagi provides.

He should be able to reduce the power quite a bit as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: