cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Redundant Power Supply?

b.chamberlain
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the Web - can a single ASA 5510 support redundant power supplies?

3 Replies 3

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

No.

I looked through the web site, too.

Then I used the Configuration Tool and saw no option for a redundant power supply.

My hunch is that the correct design decision would be to have two 5510s and let one failover to the other. That being the case you probably don't need dual power supplies in a 5510.

The higher the model number the more capabilities they have for Active/Active and dual ISP solutions.

Hope this helps.

shutman
Level 1
Level 1

How to Identify Power Consumption for your Adaptive Security Appliance.

You can find your answer to this question in a couple ways:
1. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/data_sheet_c78-345385.html 
   a. Go to Link above, then scroll down till you come to the chart listed Power under the Specifications list.
   b. Check the left side of the chart for your specification for the 5510 appliance(the 5510 is to the right of the 5505 and requires a little more power consumption that isn't listed).

NOTE: The listing is does not actually show you the answer, more of a ballpark range since you have to add more power consumption than the 5505.

2. From The Back of your ASA.

a. Check for a small bit of text beside your power plug on your ASA and it should show your the Voltage, Amperage, and Hz Range.
   b. From that amount of information you can figure up exactly what wattage power supply you have.
   c. Checking the back of my Cisco ASA 5510 displays the text "100-240v, 2.5A, 50-60Hz". To break these down:
      100-240V, the Voltage range that the unit it is capable of accepting from your wall outlet.
         In the United States, that number is 120 Volts.
      2.5A, the Amperage of the Unit, Amperage is basically the Flow Control for the power coming in.
      50-60Hz, the Hertz range that the unit is capable of accepting from your wall outlet.
         In the United States, that number is 60Hz.
   d. Using the information from above you can use the formula, "Volts x Amps = Watts."
      For mine, 120V x 2.5A = 300W, So mine would be a 300 Watt Power Supply.

Hope This Helps!

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@shutman you're replying to a 14 year old question.:)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: