cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

snmp

MZydorczyk2
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of any oid or mib that maps a mac address of ip address that a switch knows about, to a port? I am having some problems with some nasty hosts but I can not find them.

10 Replies 10

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

Can you telnet to the switch and login? if so you can track down the ip/mac by doing a show cam or show mac-address-table for the specific mac address.

No, unfortunately I cant. My director does not give me access to the switches to actually log in. If I had access it would help a lot with troubleshooting and stuff like that. And he does not like for me to come to him whenever I need to try and find something because he has to login himself. So is there any snmp things that could help me?

I don't know of a way to track mac/ip arp entries through snmp.

What are you trying to find? What are the hosts doing? maybe that will help.

And this is something that is just tough, because if you are expected to track these hosts down, someone has to login and see what ports the mac addresses show up on.

Yeah you're tellin' me. But unfortunately I am only a student worker here at my university so I know he doesnt want to give a student access to 10 switches. And unfortunately I am the only one who is experienced with cisco (not even him) and he is the only one with access.

Anyway...we are getting an exceedingly large amount of arp traffic. Particularly from 2 hosts.

We have macnotification sending traps and he thinks i should be able to look at that and find answers, how i dont know. So yeah that is about all I have to go off of...which is nothing.

what kind of switches?

get the mac addresses written down that you know are spewing the arps.

then give him the command to run on each switch.

sh mac-address-table address 3333.3333.3333

2 4510s

1 4506s

1 6506s

6 4006s

Check the subnet mask and gateway on the two machines in question. If they are configured to use their own address as a gateway then they will ARP for everything, even stuff on the Internet. If the mask is wider than it should be but the gateway is correct, then it will ARP for any address in its mask range.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Thanks for the tip. However I cant check them because I dont know where they are.

slaptijack
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps this will get you pointed in the right direction.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/cam_snmp.html

sradman
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe this tool will help you.

http://www.netdisco.org/

It does for me exactly what you were asking for: finding the nasty hosts.

Stefan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: