Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.2(3) License Migration to UCM 6.0(1)a Question

mikecotrone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been working with the migrations for a few weeks and I understand the process of using the Call Manager Upgrade Utility for a health check and the DMA tool to create the tar ball of configuration info for import into the 6.0 install. My question lies with the DLU migration. The first time I migrated no DLU's followed and I couldn't use my phones (I did have a cluster node lic).

I then read where you can go to http://www.cisco.com/go/license and click on "here for available licenses". You can choose "Cisco CallManager Device Upgrade License". Then it asks you to "Please cut and paste the information from the file generated by your Cisco CallManager Upgrade Utility below:*" along with the mac of the server nic. My question is WHERE DO I FIND THIS FILE??

I saw one doc that said that the Cisco upgrade utility generates it but I couldn't find it. Help!!!! :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

Here is the method;

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp11005

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: You have trumped me again Mahesh, my lack of typing skills is displayed again :)

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

You can use the options mentioend for CM 4.x to 5.x upgrade procedure and it is the same with CM 6.0 as well

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/5_0/sys_ad/5_0_4/ccmsys/a02licen.htm#wp1100548

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

Here is the method;

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp11005

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: You have trumped me again Mahesh, my lack of typing skills is displayed again :)

Rob thank you very much!

Hello, taking advantage of this interaction, may I ask, if during the upgrade, a new server is include to the cluster with obvs the same sw version, can they share the licensing, instead to buy new license for the new server?

I appreciate any help!

I just installed that scenario you mentioned today and basically the second server will join the cluster however if you don't have a 2nd node license running on the first server than the second server won't do anything for you service wise.

If you had two node licenses on the first server then the second server would start services fine and the DLU's are system wide.

Thanks for your response Rob!

Just to zoom my pic. I'm clear with the DLUs, but when you say node license is that refer as LIC-CMX.X-XXXXX?

Hi Milady,

Yes, for example you might have 2x LIC-CM5.0-7835 for a 2-node cluster or 3x LIC-CM5.0-7835 for a 3 node cluster.

Use the MAC of the Publisher as it will be your License Manager;

Use the following steps to obtain a license file for a new installation of Cisco CallManager 5.0 phones and nodes and for updating the licenses when new phones are added.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 When you place an order for Cisco devices, Cisco provides a Product Authorization Key (PAK).

Step 2 Register the PAK with Cisco CallManager using the License Registration web tool that is provided on CCO.

Step 3 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id. ***You must enter the number of nodes and phone units that you want licenses for.

Step 4 CCO generates a license file with the number of unit licenses that you requested and sends it you via E-mail using the E-mail ID that you provided in step Step 2

Step 5 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 3 This server then takes on the functionality of the license manager.

You should end up with two different types of Licenses (Node License with seats that covers the number of proposed users and Device License Units/DLU's for phones);

**Licenses are generated for requested Cisco CallManager nodes (the number of servers in a Cisco CallManager cluster - with seats *Node License)

***Note - Upload the license file only on the first node of Cisco CallManager cluster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this good doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080530f9b.html

The Cisco CallManager server where the license file is loaded, assumes the functionality of a license manager.

The license manager serves as the logical component that keeps track of the licenses that the customer purchases and the licenses that customer uses. It refers to the processes that control the checkin and checkout of the licenses. It keeps track of the number of license units that are required for each phone type. The license manager has responsibility for issuing and reclaiming licenses, and detecting whether there is an overdraft of licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp49438

Here is what the License should look like;

Permanent CCM_Node licenses

# Optional usage agreement, legal language, tracking information

# Some other comments

INCREMENT CCM_NODE cisco 5.0 permanent uncounted \

VENDOR_STRING=3000BCD4EE59D1.0

ileVersion> \

HOSTID=000bcd4ee59d \

NOTICE="200508261405391621 \

" SIGN="19B3 4C6C 25AC 6D22 4D75 DE6A 656B 08C5 \

30E4 16DB 771B 1393 9DC1 DBC4 C5AA 15CC 6E6C B7B8 895A DCBA \

B40F C551 2625 1C97 F20D 9977 6CFF 3603 081E 6FF2"

The preceding license file includes the following information:

No expiration date for this license exists as indicated by the keyword permanent.

This license file provides three licenses for the version 5.0 of the feature CCM_NODES.

The Cisco specific fieldLicFileID, identifies this license file.

You can add multiple increment lines for same feature in a license file to increase the license count. None of the INCREMENT lines should be identical and each of them should be signed independently.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yes. You went extra mile!

Thanks so very much! that was more than i expected...

Have a great weekend.

Hi Milady,

You are most welcome!

Have a great weekend as well.

Rob

Hi Rob,

i've got the same problem, but i did'nt found this topic:

Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing ...

Version 4.1(3)

what can i do zto get this file?

thanks

Ronny

Hi Ronny,

You cannot get this file until this initial CCM 4.x to 5.x or 6.x is completed. When the build is done you will be able to follow this procedure;

Migrating from Cisco Unified CallManager 4.0(x) to 5.0(x) same for Migration to 6.x :)

When you migrate from Cisco Unified CallManager version 4.0(x) to 5.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco Unified CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco Unified CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco Unified CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

Step 1 In Cisco Unified CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload. ***(On the new 5.x or 6.x build)

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco Unified CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/5_0_4/ccmsys/a02licen.html#wp1100548

During the time you have to wait for the new License from Cisco (not long, usually a couple of hours via email) the phones etc will still work you just can't do any changes of additions to them.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks, it works fine. But how can i migrate my user licenses into the cm6.x

In licence unit report, i have 84 devices and -84 remaining.

regards

Ronny

Hi Ronny,

Is this status before or after the Permanent License Files from Cisco have been loaded?

Rob

after the CM6 License file loaded.

regards

Ronny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: