Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating Catalyst 6513 from CatOS to Native IOS

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have two live Catalyst 6513 at the core/distribution layer. They are hybrid models [CatOS 8.3(4) and MSFC IOS 12.2(17d)SXB6].

Installed modules are:

- WS-X6516A-GBIC

- WS-SVC-NAM-2

- WS-SVC-FWM-1

- WS-SUP720-BASE (redundant)

- WS-X6148-GE-TX

- WS-X6548-GE-TX

I'm planning the migration of both switches to Native IOS 12.2(18)SFX10. Are there any issues I need to watch out for? The migration strategy will involve migration of one box first, verify network operation is okay, then proceed to migrate the other box. I'm most concerned with unexpected interoperability issue.

In current setup, both core switches are in VTP server mode. All other switches are clients. All trunks are 802.1Q. Spanning tree is PVST+. FWSM is in routed multiple security context mode.

I'm using the EDI tool to help with the CatOS command conversion.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

1 Reply 1

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

To add on, I forgot to mention that after the first box is converted, I will configure it in VTP client mode to synchronize the VLAN from the second box. Then reconfigure it to VTP server. I have heard that this action may result in the Native IOS switch not able to create new VLANs.

Kindly advise if this is true and what is the best strategy to do it.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card