cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

receive errors

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, can anyone tell me why im getting receive errors on the uplink to my fiber switch ?

cheers

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Not unless you can give us some more detail, diagnostic "show" commands, etc.

I will say, however, that some switches record vast numbers of symbol errors on fiber links, and these are artifacts of a bug. But in the absence of other information, that is only a guess.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

What are the specific errors you are seeing?

One of the most common causes of errors is a duplex mismtch - the first thing to do is confirm that both ends are the same. If both are running at full, you should not be seeing any CRC or framing type errors.

Bear in mind that you need to check the operational state of the link, not just the config as one platform seems to be prone to dropping to autonegotiation even when configured!

If your duplex settings are correct at each end, the you need to look at the media - easiest frist check may be to replace your GBIC/SFP - I would try the end getting the RX errors first, then the other end. If you still get errors, you may need to try another fibre pair, or get the pair you are using metred to check if they are OK.

Oh, and make sure that all fibres are correct - I have seen instalaltions where it should be single mode, but a multimode patch has been used for example.

Hi all, thanks for your help

I have basically seen this, from the switch in question I can ping the main distribution switch fine, when I try and ping the switch itself it takes longer, if I unplug the fiber to the distibution switch, the lights on the switch calm down, I have replaced both fibers at either end, moved port on the dist switch etc, and even replaced the switch, what could this be ? I have monitored the port and I cant see much traffic at all, could it be the fiber in between the 2 rooms that would cause this delay ? im getting between 20 and 80 ms ping times.

your help would be great

cheers

Carl

The main bulding fibre can be at fault, though as it tends not to be moved it is unusual. More likely is perhaps a bit if dust in a connector.

It would help us if you could attach a sh interface so we can see the errors, ideally one from each end.

Paul.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco