cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

roaming issue between ap's? 4402 controller, 1010 AP's.

simpsoro2
Level 1
Level 1

We are having an issue logging into wireless. If I am authenticate at one location on campus I have no problems authenticating there at any time. However, if going to a different part of campus, different ap, I can not authenticate and the attempted authentication does not even show up in the passed or failed attempts log on the acs server. I can see the WiFi and I am able to obtain an IP. So, dhcp is working properly. I just can't authenticate.

All of our ap's are the light weight 1010, controlled by a 4402 controller. Authentication goes through the ACS controller which queries the LDAP server. It doesn't appear to be an LDAP issue because I don't have authentication problem as long as I authenticate to the same ap every time.

The default group they belong to allows an unlimited number of authentications.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

perhaps it is a routing or acl issue.

Are you using the same subnet/vlan/wlan in both areas and/or routing between the two or have acls that may be blocking traffic? Given the fact that you are not seeing any logs on the ACS, it sounds like the auth does not even reach the ACS to begin with.

the ap's and users are all on the same vlan and there are no acl's blocking traffic.

In that case, perhaps the next step is to compare the AP configurations, the disfunctional

AP vs the functional AP.

I've seen some issues in which I have upgraded the controllers, yet a few APs still had the old code.

Also, do you use WCS or the WLC to drive your AP templates?

A little more info after some trouble shooting....I didn't mention previously but should have, we to 2 4402 wireless controllers. I took some of the ap's that were on controller 1 and set their primary controller to be controller 2 instead. After that I was able to authenticate to those ap's.

So, it appears that the issue is with the first controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card