What IOS version / device model#s are best for studying the new CCNA?

Unanswered Question
Sep 12th, 2007

Hi all,

Does Cisco state what IOS version(s) and device types the new CCNA will test candidates on? This information is specified in detail for CCIE exams (http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/rs/index.html), but I can't find the same kind of info for CCNA 640-802.

Thanks!

~James

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
kakashi1973 Fri, 09/14/2007 - 07:43

I believe the only IOS version requirement is with CCNP which requires 12.4(x)to be loaded on the router.

As for equipment, I know specifically the CCNA wants you to be able to use 2950 Switch.

Check out ciscokits.com they are pretty familiar with CCNA router/switch requirements.

Hope I helped

jamessward Fri, 09/14/2007 - 07:56

I was referring to the new CCNA exam 640-802. Cisco learning products for the old test, 640-801 frequently used the 2950, but is that still the recommended platform or does the new CCNA expect candidates to be familiar with newer hardware. 2960s perhaps?

If I'm studying with a slightly different IOS version will the commands still be the same?

Thanks

cyphur353 Fri, 09/14/2007 - 08:07

You will be tested more on broad topics in the CCNA. The CCNA doesn't get in-depth enough for the IOS to really play too large of a role, where the CCIE goes into that much depth.

2600 or better router, 12.2 IOS or better, 2950 switches will work fine. There are some new features on the 2960s, but nothing earth shattering IMO.

jamessward Fri, 09/14/2007 - 08:35

The reason I'm trying to nail down more specific platform requirements is that I've found devices of similar type can have very different command sets. For example, I bought some equipment for a home lab including a pair of 2924 switches. When I started going through the Cisco training materials (as well as the Trainsignal / Chris Bryant workbook) many of the commands being shown on 2950s don't work on the 2924. 2924 has most of the same functionality, but it has to be configured in either a different part of the OS or with a different command syntax. I quickly realized that while I might become proficient at configuring 2924s and understand all the protocols the commands that work on 2924s may not work on the simulated exam equipment. In that case I'd probably burn a lot of exam time trying to find the right command syntax/menu to correctly configure them. With the CCNA's short time limit that extra searching could sink me.

Maybe I'm just reading into this too much but I want to make sure that if I'm dropping cash on another set of switches for study purposes that the command syntax I'm learning would still be relevant on the new exam 640-802 in case I don't pass before November.

Thanks for all the replies!

~James

tcnicolls Fri, 09/14/2007 - 11:21

This more detailed information would help a lot of people... Including myself

cyphur353 Fri, 09/14/2007 - 12:25

The 2924 is a different device than a 2950. Model names for 2950's include WS-C2950-24-*additional parameters*.

Again, 2950's should be sufficient for the CCNA. For routers, 3640's are cheap enough on eBay, 2600's make good terminal servers. Dynamips/Dynagen can emulate the router hardware to enable you to run genuine IOS images, as well as build full router topologies - which can save you money on routers and allow you to buy nicer switches. IOS's, basically run the most stable, up to date IOS your flash will allow. 12.3 is a good starting point.

Hope that helps!

Actions

This Discussion