Views
Helpful
Replies

remote command switch?

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

OK, now Im really confused. What the heck is this command used for? LOL

I read gthe explanation on Cisco's website, but I honestly didnt get it.

8 Replies 8

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

In a 3750 stack, you ssh the master switch. This command is used if you want to send a command to one of the slave switch...like a to show port asis info...

Thanks, Dominic, but I think there is a bit more to it than that. I am being told by a Cisco engineer that it is also used with 6500 series switches.

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

remote command switch show is the command run from the RP of the switch to pull the command output from the SP side on a Cat6500 switch.

thanks

Salman.

OK, thanks.

So, is this a command used for convenience? Instead of having to telnet to the switch directly, you can use this command to extract output from a remote device?

What about if I need to view bootstrap information for the SP module in a native IOS 6500 switch? The command I am being told to use is 'remote command switch sh ver'....Is this the only way to do it? It seems weird to be in a telnet session with the switch and have to use a "remote" command to extract data from it....

By the way, I am in the msfc of a 6513 switch right now and I dont see that command as an option. I am confused,

There is alternative.You can use "remote login switch".This will log you on to the SP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801eafb0.html#wp1051725

With remote command you will not see the context sensitive help.But if you do remote login you will get the help when you put ?.

But remote command is easier because you dont need to log on to switch everytime, if you are sure about the command.

When telneting into a 6500 switch running Native IOS, you are automatically brought to the Route Processor (RP) environment.

If you want to gather information from the Switch Processor (SP), you need to use the 'remote command switch'.

Your example is perfect for supporting the statements above. If you issue 'show ver' on the Native IOS, the hardware information provided only comes from the RP. If you need SP specific information, you need to invoke the 'remote command switch'.

Back with hybrid configuration, you were able to have two separate entities.

HTH,

Edison and everyone:

Excellent explanations and now I am crystal clear about it.

Thank you very much.

VL

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card