cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple port taggin?

Colin Craig
Level 1
Level 1

I'm replacing some allied telesyn switches with 3750's. I need to create a vlan (Vlan 3) and tag all my port for this vlan. We use Nortel Voip phones that belong to Vlan3 and go into the same port as our Data Vlan (Vlan 1). On the cheap Allied I just specified all the ports I wanted to be tagged. How do I do this with these 3750's CLI. Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are placing these 3750s as Layer2 devices:

1) Create the Vlan

Switch(config)#Vlan 3

Switch(config)#name Voice

2) assign membership on port

Switch(config-if)#switchport voice vlan 3

Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree portfast

You will need to create trunks on inter-switch links to carry both Vlan1 and Vlan3.

Vlan1 comes with the switch by default, thus no need for configuration.

Now, by assigning the port to vlan3, does that not take it out of vlan1? I might be missing something...

Not that way.If you connect a PC also to that port its data will be considered as coming from vlan1.vlan 3 here is only for the voice traffic.

Adding to Edison's point,

As soon as you add voice vlan port fast is enabled automatically.More details at,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_12c_ea1/configuration/guide/swvoip.html#wp1030825

Hope this helps.

I got a reply from our Cisco rep at the phone company (our Voip shoots over to the phone company). This is the example he gave me.

interface FastEthernet0/2

description Trunk to phone-pc data vlan 10 voice vlan 20

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 10

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20

switchport mode trunk

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 20 40 30

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

priority-queue out

mls qos trust dscp

spanning-tree portfast trunk

My only question is the:

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 20 40 30

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

The 10 20 40 30 are those percentage of the port bandwidth available to each queue? As far as the shape 10 0 0 0 I do need some clarification on this as well. I apologize for the dumb questions but I'm not used to using switches with functionality lol.

As far as the shape 10 0 0 0 I do need some clarification on this as well. I apologize for the dumb questions but I'm not used to using switches with functionality lol.

[salman]

that is to shape queue # 1 which is a priority queue. So your queue #1 will get 10% of the bandwidth and nothing more. Once you configure shpaing , you cannot use sharing on the same quueue. The idea of shaping is to restrict the bandwidth to a certain value. Sharing means the queues will atleast get whatever is configured , but can also expand beyond ( i.e share ) whatever is configured for these queues. Since Priority queues have the possibility of starving other regular queues , sharing is recommended for priority queues.

thanks

Salman.

so.. Sharing is the prefered configuration? Will that not pull bandwidth away from the other queues? Like you said starve them?

thats why we restrict it to 10% . restricting it to 10% is better then letting it have at entire bandwidth :).

Sharing on Priority queue could cause starvation for other queues .

thanks

Salman.

so I cannot have both shape and shared. correct? can I set those settings globally or is strictly per port?

No. Once you configure shaping and sharing both for a specific queue , shaping takes precedence. Sharing configured on that queue will have no effect.

thanks

Salman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco