cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User not local

IIAGDTRnSC
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to send email to a domain that appears to have a configuration problem. The mail resolves to two servers:

Host Preference IP(s) [Country]
mail.neal-prince.com. 5 66.0.186.134 [US]
mail.itcdeltacom.net. 10 165.212.65.113 [US]

My C100 returns this error:

551 <JoeSixpack>... User not local (at 12 Sep 2007 14:46:11 (GMT)) IP:165.212.65.113

The Ironport wants to send to the 165.212.65.113 address which causes this error. Can I make it send to the 66.0.186.34 address?

I have contacted the ISP to see if they can fix the problem, just thought I'd do what I can to resolve it myself if I can.

4 Replies 4

Donald Nash
Level 3
Level 3

Hmmm, the fact that your C100 is going to the MX 10 destination instead of the MX 5 one probably means that the MX 5 destination is down, since smaller MX values are more preferred.

But to answer your question directly, you can use an SMTP route to force the mail to go where you want it. Use the "smtproutes" command in the CLI.

IIAGDTRnSC
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, that was interesting, I think these guys might actually have hosted mail at the ISP's server. I will give this a try in the morning, thanks.

Hmmm, the fact that your C100 is going to the MX 10 destination instead of the MX 5 one probably means that the MX 5 destination is down, since smaller MX values are more preferred.

But to answer your question directly, you can use an SMTP route to force the mail to go where you want it. Use the "smtproutes" command in the CLI.

IIAGDTRnSC
Level 1
Level 1

Had a few minutes and did this and it works...thanks for your help!

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Here are some diagnostic commands that you can perform from the command line (CLI) of the Ironport appliance. Once you've ssh'ed onto the command line with a terminal program like Putty.

tophosts --> Active Recipients(1)

- This displays messages in the delivery queue. Messages here have
already been scanned and is waiting to be delivered.

hoststatus --> domain (i.e. yahoo.com, stetson.edu)

- This provides some information about the mailserver and if they are
up or down.

delivernow

- Will try to immediately re-send all mail that was previously deferred and sitting in the delivery queue.

- nslookup

To perform hostname, MX records and IP addresses of a domain

In your case, "hoststatus" would be useful since it will display the MX records and IP addresses near the bottom of the 'hoststatus' output.

For example,

nslookup

Please enter the host or IP address to resolve.
[]> neal-prince.com

Choose the query type:
1. A the host's Internet address
2. CNAME the canonical name for an alias
3. MX the mail exchanger
4. NS the name server for the named zone
5. PTR the hostname if the query is an Internet address,

otherwise the pointer to other information
6. SOA the domain's "start-of-authority" information
7. TXT the text information
[1]> 3

MX=mail.itcdeltacom.net PREF=10 TTL=1d
MX=mail.neal-prince.com PREF=5 TTL=1d

I noticed that there is a Time to Live (TTL) of 1 day for the hostname before it clears the cache. To immediately clear the DNS cache and have the Ironport AsyncOS go out and obtain current MX and IP addreses, type the following:

dnsflush

by the way, you can get a snippet of information on how the command works by typing,

help
help dnsflush

--kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: