cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 IOS Upgrade Auto Upgrade Feature

williamka
Level 1
Level 1

We installed 5 each 3750 switches using Stackwise and tested the auto upgrade feature. We were unsuccessful using this feature. Our Image file is a .bin file which our SE believes can be used to auto upgrade. The show boot command shows the master has auto upgrade yes whereas the others have auto upgrade no. Does anyone know if I need a .tar file for image auto upgrade?

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Please check the procedure description below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

Does this answer your question / solve your problem?

regards,

Leo

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Hi ,

Make sure that both are on same IOS ver,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_sea/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1166403

The auto upgrade of the stack will only work if the master was loaded with a .tar image. Then assuming there are no major or minor mismatches, the newly added switch will

auto-upgrade and reload, coming up on the new code.

Regards,

~JG

Thank you for your information...

Based on documentation the .tar file was necessary for auto upgrade. The confusing part is once the .tar file is extracted, it creates the structure with config.text,vlan.dat,private-config.text and image directory. Within the image directory is the .bin file. So where does the actual .tar file exist?

The auto upgrade was not successful using the same version but with Crypto. I beleive I read auto upgrade does not work if you go from non crypt to crypto. Can you tell me how to determine whether I have on master the .tar file for auto upgrade. Thank you so much

According to the previously provided documentation link there is a special

note stating "Auto-upgrade performs the upgrade only when the two images are the same type. For example, it does not automatically upgrade a switch in VM mode from IP services image to IP base image (or the reverse) or from cryptographic to noncryptographic (or the

reverse). "

If one image is base image and other image is a crypto image that will cause the

auto-upgrade to fail.

Regards,

~JG

Please rate helpful posts

Thank you so much for the info. I was very helpful and appreciate your expertise. I will test this out in the lab and determine whether or not to enable auto update or manually have control of IOS Upgrading.

A .tar file is just decompressed into a directory with with the .bin image inside the directory, this happens when you use the archive command . Tar files usually have all the GUI files in it too if you are into useing a gui interface. If the image is in a directory then it was put on the 3750 using the archive command. There is no actual .tar file once it is decompressed into a directory .

We downloaded a .tar file on master and extracted to all members of the stack. We then introduced another switch using an image consistent with the master but with a lower revision number. We cabled up the 5th switch and powered up waiting for auto upgrade to occur. We were not able to see any action in terms of auto upgrade. Any ideas?

Using another crypto IOS version which was clearly lower than the IOS on the master we finally obtained version mismatch. It was my understanding that the auto upgrade would occur but it did not. In the log we received the following:

Systems with incompatible software have been added to the stack.

The storage devices on all of the stack members have been scanned, and it has

been determined that the stack can be repaired by issuing the following command

archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite /dest 5 flash1:c3750-ipbasek9-tar.122-25.SEE3.tar

Does this mean auto upgrade actually requires the command to run to upgrade?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card