cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Numbers for IOS and CatOS

gwhansen59
Level 1
Level 1

What does Cisco recommend to use for asset inventory tracking purposes? Do they recommend using the Processor ID or the Chassis serial number? I'm curious because we just had a call and it was said that Cisco recommends using the Processor ID (you can find the ID when doing a 'sh ver'). I thought it would be wise to use the Chassis Serial # --- this can't be changed right? The processor ID and the Serial # are two different #s I think. A person on the call said that in their 6500s, the Processor ID and the chassis Serial # (on the backs-left of chassis) is the same -- how is this possisble?

I'm confused. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

GH

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Processor ID and system serial number is same. Its the Processor Id and Motherboard serial number which differs.

Refer URL http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a00801c1e9a.shtml

I am having a similiar question / problem. We are trying to clearup our smart net agreements and we are using the serial number as a guide. The "external" serial numbers are different from the "show version" serial numbers, on our VG248 devices?

EXTERNAL SERIAL NUMBER=SAD093301VT

SHOW VERSION=

----------------------------------------------------------

| Cisco VG248 (VGC14a85dc) |

----------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

| System status |

|--------------------------------------------------------------|

| Up time: 48 days 14 hours 9 mins |

| Real time clock: 16:23, 12/13/2007 |

| Serial number: SAD093203TG |

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card