cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 501

mpmccarron
Level 1
Level 1

I want to place a stateful inspection firewall in front of one of my servers (between it and my LAN) and also create a VPN between the firewall and another firewall on another subnet within my network. Can the 501 accomplish this? I am going to purchase both firewalls and will be the same.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Yes the pix 501 can do this for you. Be aware that the 501 and 506E pix firewalls cannot run anything later than version 6.x so it has a limited upgrade path.

You may want to consider the ASA5505 although i don't have cost differences. But yes the 501 would suffice for you.

HTH

Jon

the cost difference is not an issue. ie, there's hardly any difference.

I just purchased a 5505 for myself from lanstreet.com for 370 USD which includes shipping. (10 user license).

on cdw, they are the same price. on lanstreet.com, the 501 is actually more.

Thanks for the info.

how do the licenses work? Do I need a license for each user who is going through the firewall at a time or do I need a license for each user on my network?

Hi

I believe the licensing is based on the number of inside hosts ie. ip addresses. A 10 user license would allow 10 inside hosts to connect out through the firewall.

The license is upgradeable to 50 user or unlimited user so you are not going down a dead end.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card