Views
Helpful
Replies

copper gbic question

rhltechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a catalyst 4507r. I wish to place an uplink port on one of my active supervisor ports. I installed the copper gbic but when i plug a cable into it, the port stays in disconnected state. I tested the cable and another port..so I know it was not the cable. is there something i need to do before this will work or should i be looking at failed hardware?

TIA,

R

8 Replies 8

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

here is a chance that the WS-G5483 is not recognized by your software.

Please check the support requirements here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk214/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094863.shtml#cat4k

regards,

Leo

Thank you for your reply. I believe i am supported...I have the WS-X4515.

WS-X4515

WS-G5483

WS-G5484, G5486, G5487

12.1(13)EW

I am running SW version 12.2(25)EWA5.

OK, you said: active supervisor ports. Are you perhaps using supervisor redundancy?

The two Gigabit Ethernet interfaces available in RPR mode are the first Gigabit Ethernet ports on each supervisor. That is, only Gig 1/1 and Gig 2/1 are available. The other two ports, Gig 1/2 and Gig 2/2, are not available.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/13ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1097897

Leo

Correct...I am indeed doing redundancy but I was trying to use gig 1/1 which should be active according to the docs i have read and the one you supplied.

Then I am running out of options fast, it seems you know what to do quite well yourself.

Are you able to test the GBIC in another module, just to rule out hardware problems?

Is the interface set up as a switchport?

It might even be a counterfeit GBIC. (Have seen this with the 5483 before)

good luck

Leo

Ha..me too running out of ideas! I thought maybe I was just missing something silly.

I tried to place the gbic into the standby module and it does not come on either! I also grabbed a brand new gbic from the package and tried that one with no joy. I just cannot understand it. This system was inherited, so I am honestly not sure if they have ever worked. The interface is indeed set up as a switchport.

Thank you for your help.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Ro, are both end devices for this connection speed and duplex consistant?

Jorge Rodriguez

I have not set anything on the interface, actually you cant...no option to. when i do a sh interface it says its at auto though.

Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 1000BaseT

the other end was also set for auto.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card