WSA replacing Symantec Webfilter

Unanswered Question
Sep 13th, 2007

A customer currently running Symantec's Webfilter is trying WSA in order to see if he can replace Symantec solution. He is asking me for a benchmark between the two products. I have little knowledge about Webfilter, any help?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jdohrman Wed, 09/19/2007 - 00:46

Thanks for posting.

Here are three keypoints that differentiate the IronPort S-Series Appliance from Symantec Webfilter. This might be good information even though it is not a benchmark or something that would allow for a direct comparison.

Symantec Web Security on ISA requires ICAP devices and engines to provide basis security functions. First-generation, ICAP-based anti-malware solutions require ownership and administration of multiple servers.

Unlike these products, the IronPort Anti-Malware System is delivered as a high-performance, single appliance solution.
The Symantec on ISA supports basic URL filtering.

The IronPort S-Series includes the industry's first Web reputation filters which provide a powerful outer layer of defense as well as URL filtering to ensure compliance with corporate policies. By combining these innovative technologies, the IronPort S-Series helps organizations address the growing challenges of both securing and controlling Web traffic.
Symantec uses an off-the-shelf OS with ISA to create a product. The OS is not optimized for performance and reliability.

IronPort offers a customized operating system that provides unparalleled performance and reliability.

I'll let you know once I find some sort of benchmark you could use to illustrate the differences.

Take Care,

This Discussion