Views
Helpful
Replies

Help bundle two t1's for internet connection

cecilmayy
Level 1
Level 1

Help!

I will be configuring a 2611 router with two t1 for internet connection. How do I configure the controller card and the serial interface? I intend to bundle the two t1?s for more speed. Please help with basic configuration

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cecil

I believe that you are describing putting both of the T1s into a multilink bundle. This treats both physical links as part of a single logical interface. Part of the concept of this is that the physical interfaces do not get IP addresses and the IP address is configured on the single logical interface. Your config would look something like this (obviously with the address assigned to you by your provider and with interface numbering that matches your router). You might want the commands for fair-queue and mroute or you might not want them. They were part of the config from a router that I configured and they work for that installation. They might not be needed in your installation. Also note that the provider must configure their interfaces in a similar manner.

interface Multilink1

ip address 172.16.209.86 255.255.255.252

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment disable

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/0

description connection to Internet

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can you post the model of the T1 card here which can be useful to suggest the recommended config for the same.

are these lines connecting to the same end point device at the remote location ?

if its then you can have a logical bundle created by grouping the physical links.

regds

The 2611 came with 1 t1 WIC card installed with a single t1 port. I installed another WIC card in the other slot which also has 1 t1 port on it

I now have 2 t1 ports on the 2611. I will be connecting the 2 t1's into the 2 t1 interface port.

these lines are connecting to the same end point which is my ISP. the lines are for internet service

I hope this info will help.

cgyomber
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2621XM router that's doing what you're trying to do. I have it configured with 2 T-1DSU WICs and below is part of my config that should get you started:

ip cef

ip cef accounting per-prefix non-recursive

interface Serial0/0

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

encapsulation ppp

interface Serial0/1

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

encapsulation ppp

2 Routes are setup:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/1

Thanks for your reply.

it looks like you are using the 2 t1 separately. Correct me if am wrong. I?ll like to bundle my up for more bandwidth.

Your point-to-point or just internet lines?

Mine are just internet lines

Cecil

I believe that you are describing putting both of the T1s into a multilink bundle. This treats both physical links as part of a single logical interface. Part of the concept of this is that the physical interfaces do not get IP addresses and the IP address is configured on the single logical interface. Your config would look something like this (obviously with the address assigned to you by your provider and with interface numbering that matches your router). You might want the commands for fair-queue and mroute or you might not want them. They were part of the config from a router that I configured and they work for that installation. They might not be needed in your installation. Also note that the provider must configure their interfaces in a similar manner.

interface Multilink1

ip address 172.16.209.86 255.255.255.252

ppp multilink

ppp multilink fragment disable

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial1/0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have a similar situation. Two T1 lines are from the same ISP.

Will the second T1 line be up if the first T1 line goes down?

If this will work then I don't need BGP.

hi

in case of redundancy you dont need to use bgp since you can achieve the same using static routes.

but the similar setup has to be done at sp end too to have the fallback triggered.

regds

HI Rick and Prem,

Urgent Requirement:

--------------------------

Hello All,

Router 1<----------->Router 2

Currently i have a E1 circuit between R1 and R2 Routers.

I am purchasing a new E1 circuit for Load Sharing and High availaibility.

I wish to Bundle the both the E1 Circuits as Single Virtual Link.

Please help me with the Sample Configuration of "Multi Link PPP"

Note: Both the E1 Circuits belongs to two different Service Providers.

Thanks in Advance for Help

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

hi

Are you availing normal TDM Point to Point circuits from the Telco if yes then the config posted by Rick is enough except the timeslot command.

Also do make sure that you are doing a proper tests for errors/reliability of both the links before putting them in the bundle.

You will experience degraded performance if anyone of the circuit contains errors.

regds

HI Prem,

Thanks for Info. Yes, its a dedicated Point-to-Point Circuit only.

Question: In this Multilink PPP Environment, what will happen in a Situation if one of the Circuit goes DOWN.

Whether the traffic will automatically carried forward by the Second Link ?

Thanks in Advance for Help

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Yes you are rite the traffic will go via multilink (logical link) which will be up based on the status of active link.

Thats where it becomes difficult in finding out whether both the links are up since you will have reachability even with a single link (which is a member of the bundle).

regds

HI Prem & Rick,

Thanks for Help and Have Rated your Post.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Then what's the benefit of BGP? My ISP wanted to set up BGP to route both inbound and outbound traffic.

Is there any security risk in implementing multilink?

Thanks to everyone especially you Rick. My multilink is up

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco