cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan on dist switch n access switch puzzling me...

cindylee27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

got one qn to ask u..it looks simple but doesn;t work to prove on the technically side.. I have created vlan 20 at access switch 2950 for one user, n this access switch is connected to 3750 which is Distribution switch. In turn, this distribution switch is connected to the core switch. The problem now is..user vlan 20 is not in the same vlan 20 as in core switch ip add range 10.36.20.254 255.255.255.0 until create another vlan 20 at the distribution switch.

Why does this happens? as the trunkings are suppose to span all VLANs across.. which in this case 3750 connected to 4506 is trunked..and 3750 connected to 2950 is also trunk..

very puzzling..

Another info is , 3750 has a domain vlan name and is a transparent mode n no password set.

interface vlan 20 : ip add 10.36.20.254 255.255.255.0

Vlan 20 Vlan 20

4506 --------------------------- 3750 ------------------------------------------ 2950 ----------------------- USer PC

gi0/1(trunk) gi2/0/1(trunk) fa0/1 (trunk) fa0/1 (trunk)

Thanks in advanced.

22 Replies 22

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

The 3750 in transparent mode for VTP means it passes VTP through, but ignores it.

What you are best doing really is set the core switches up as VTP servers, all other switches as VTP clients all in the same VTP domain. That way you just add VLAN20 at the server and it gets propagated to all switches.

Idwally you should also have a password applied, to reduce the chance of a rouge VTP server being added.

Thanks Paul for your reply..

But the user is connected to 2950 switch and there are no users at 3750 switch. 3750 merely for connection to all the access switches and uplink to the Core Switch.

What i dun understand is..Since the gigabitethernet and the fastethernet are both in trunking mode.. meaning can span even vlan 20 across to Core Switch...why transparent mode still can impact on this??

Thanks again!

Cindy

I'm a little confused. You say you created vlan 20 on the 2950 so then it must be either vtp transparent or a VTP server.

What mode is the 4500 switch running in ?

Where i am confused is if you had already created vlan 20 on 4500 then why was that not propogated to 2950. Are the 4500 and the 2950 in different VTP domains ?

Jon

My reading of the question was that VLAN20 was present on both core and access switches, but it didn't work until VLAN20 was created on the distribution switch (3750) manually - with the 3750 in transparent mode.

Hi Paul

Yes it's a little unclear. I think it was when Cindy said she had created vlan 20 on the access switch but rereading it you may well be right in your interpretation.

Cindy, could you put us out of our misery :)

Jon

Isn't English wonderful!

People get upset when they ask for advice because a switch keeps falling over and I suggest rack mounting it properly

:)

Sorry Jon, I really didn;t clarify properly.

Well, there are 2 core switch 4506 as redundancy.

Core Switch(4506) - 1 : transparent mode, X vtp domain

Core Switch(4506)- 2 : transparent mode, no vtp domain

Dist Switch(3750) : transparent mode, X vtp domain

Access Switch(2950) : transparent mode, X vtp domain

So, can say that all of them are transparent mode..

Hope this is clear..thanks again..

ops..just saw Paul's reply :) well, english really wonderful as it can really bridge everyone from all over the world..

From East Asia (myself) to West, and to you guys..:P

The fun with English is that there are so many subtleties thatis can get very confusing, and sometimes we native speakers have to take a step back from what something appears to say and look at alternative meanings to try to understand what is being asked.

Paul.

[OT], and very much so.

English is great for bridging cultures, but there is also much local dialect. In an international situation like this we have to be careful not to be misinterpreted. Brits (like me) and Americans have been described as "two peoples, divided by a common language".

I'm sure I use expressions in "English English" that would leave Americans baffled: "Nice weather for ducks", "Two sandwiches short of a picnic", etc. etc.

And I'm sure that the Internet itself is developing its own "local" dialect.

OK, I'll shut up now - this is extreme OffTopic.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I know what you mean - I am a fellow Brit

While OT I do think it is relevant (at times).

I'll shut up too!

Yep, me also and just to show solidarity with my fellow Brits i'll shut up as well :)

I'll be honest - I have never seen the point of transparent mode!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/7.x/configuration/guide/vtp.html#wp1028612

For best effect set all domains the same, set core switches as servers and all others as clients.

If you really want to use transparent, you will need to manually create the VLAN on the core, distribution and access switches. Assuming access and dist switches are multi-homed, you will need to configure the VLAN on both/all core, both dist and the access switches if you want to use the resilience you have of the multi-homing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco