APs randomly disassociate from WLC ver

Unanswered Question
Sep 14th, 2007

I have a WLC 4402 with about 45 1010 APs installetion

WLC code version and APs randomly disassociate from WLC - it happens usually one-two times a day

with an errors:

AP's Interface:1(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:00:0b:85:xx:xx:xx Cause=Unknown

AP's Interface:1(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:0b:85:xx:xx:xx Cause=Max Retrasmission

I've tried the suggested solutions putting a static ARP entry and moving AP's to different VLAN but nothing works unless the AP's physically rebooted.

I think the problem begin just after upgrading to

please note when AP's disassociates from WLC its still reachable via ping

Are there any specific requirements for newer versions?

Please advice

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
evgeni.yampolski Fri, 09/21/2007 - 03:37

I know its not a requirement but I've put management and ap-manager interface on the same VLAN.

disabled CDP globally on WLC

and changed AP discovery mode using DNS.

its now running for 3 days without problem...

Im not sure if and what helped...

dennischolmes Tue, 10/09/2007 - 17:32

You would've had a similar outcome if you had just enabled dhcp option 43 for location of the wlan controller interfaces. This works best when you create a separate interface for each vlan and advertise dhcp with option 43 on that subnet.

I have experienced the same problem on th 1010 APs. I have a heavy ap density situation with bleed throughs from between floors.

Anyway, I manually set the power down on the b/g side to help with the co-channel interference I was experiencing. This was causing WLAN phones to be problematic. It seems to have helped.

I read somewhere that the RRM may be overwhelmed in a high density situation. Manually setting power and channel helps.

rocampo Thu, 10/18/2007 - 23:49

I had a similar problem the other night.

APs disconnect or cant associate.

Thu Oct 18 02:37:39 2007: 00:0b:85:92:97:80 Max retransmissions reached on AP 00:0B:85:92:97:80 (CONFIGURE_COMMAND, 9)

I was using Layer 2 LWAPP discovery. I switched to Layer 3 LWAPP discovery and using DHCP option 43. It fixed the problem.

Dmitry Halavin Fri, 10/19/2007 - 06:20

Discovery method should not have an affect on the access points staying connected to the WLC. What you describe is usually a symptom of a network problem, but you should open a case with the TAC so they can work on this issue.

dennischolmes Fri, 10/19/2007 - 08:11

Layer 2 mode uses a different non-routable method of AP to WLC connection. By moving to layer 3 you enabled IP on the access points. This is why you were able to reassociate. Layer 2 should only be used when all the APs and the controller are on the same network segment. Bear in mind, Layer 3 is your friend. It will allow latency based applications to work much better and more reliable. Layer 2 is really only used to prepare the APs for some specific configurations that require a quick, clean connection to a controller.

dennischolmes Sat, 10/20/2007 - 07:06

By the way, Layer 2 is only supported on the Cisco 1000 series and unfortunately those are EOL.

robsimkins Mon, 12/03/2007 - 02:59

I had an issue with AP reboots, it was resovled by setting the ARP timer to its default setting as it was too short (around 7 minutes).

d-berlinski Mon, 12/03/2007 - 03:38

Arp timeouts are set @ 300 seconds (5 min). So you are saying that bumping it up will resolve the reboot issue?

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode