Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs randomly disassociate from WLC ver 4.1.185.0

I have a WLC 4402 with about 45 1010 APs installetion

WLC code version 4.1.185.0 and APs randomly disassociate from WLC - it happens usually one-two times a day

with an errors:

AP's Interface:1(802.11b) Operation State Up: Base Radio MAC:00:0b:85:xx:xx:xx Cause=Unknown

AP's Interface:1(802.11b) Operation State Down: Base Radio MAC:00:0b:85:xx:xx:xx Cause=Max Retrasmission

I've tried the suggested solutions putting a static ARP entry and moving AP's to different VLAN but nothing works unless the AP's physically rebooted.

I think the problem begin just after upgrading to 4.0.217.0

please note when AP's disassociates from WLC its still reachable via ping

Are there any specific requirements for newer versions?

Please advice

10 Replies 10

d-berlinski
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue. Cisco engineers had no remedy for me.

I know its not a requirement but I've put management and ap-manager interface on the same VLAN.

disabled CDP globally on WLC

and changed AP discovery mode using DNS.

its now running for 3 days without problem...

Im not sure if and what helped...

You would've had a similar outcome if you had just enabled dhcp option 43 for location of the wlan controller interfaces. This works best when you create a separate interface for each vlan and advertise dhcp with option 43 on that subnet.

mberin
Level 1
Level 1

I have experienced the same problem on th 1010 APs. I have a heavy ap density situation with bleed throughs from between floors.

Anyway, I manually set the power down on the b/g side to help with the co-channel interference I was experiencing. This was causing WLAN phones to be problematic. It seems to have helped.

I read somewhere that the RRM may be overwhelmed in a high density situation. Manually setting power and channel helps.

rocampo
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem the other night.

APs disconnect or cant associate.

Thu Oct 18 02:37:39 2007: 00:0b:85:92:97:80 Max retransmissions reached on AP 00:0B:85:92:97:80 (CONFIGURE_COMMAND, 9)

I was using Layer 2 LWAPP discovery. I switched to Layer 3 LWAPP discovery and using DHCP option 43. It fixed the problem.

Discovery method should not have an affect on the access points staying connected to the WLC. What you describe is usually a symptom of a network problem, but you should open a case with the TAC so they can work on this issue.

Layer 2 mode uses a different non-routable method of AP to WLC connection. By moving to layer 3 you enabled IP on the access points. This is why you were able to reassociate. Layer 2 should only be used when all the APs and the controller are on the same network segment. Bear in mind, Layer 3 is your friend. It will allow latency based applications to work much better and more reliable. Layer 2 is really only used to prepare the APs for some specific configurations that require a quick, clean connection to a controller.

By the way, Layer 2 is only supported on the Cisco 1000 series and unfortunately those are EOL.

robsimkins
Level 1
Level 1

I had an issue with AP reboots, it was resovled by setting the ARP timer to its default setting as it was too short (around 7 minutes).

Arp timeouts are set @ 300 seconds (5 min). So you are saying that bumping it up will resolve the reboot issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: