cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can members in a pool be on different subnets using CSM

poulid
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We have recently been investigating load balancing devices, and were almost set on F5. We then overhauled our core network, including replacing one 4507R with 2 6500's, outfitted with Sup720's and FWSM modules.

Now, we are seriously thinking about investing in the CSM or ACE module instead of the F5. I was wondering if the servers in my virtual pool can be on different subnets?

For example, the user is looking for a web server with an IP of 192.168.110.1. This virtual ip is setup on the CSM module, and contains three physical servers, 192.168.110.10, 192.168.110.20, and 10.10.10.1 (server in a different data center, only to be used if the two primary servers go down). Will this work, or do all members in the pool need to be on the same subnet?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

does not matter if they are in the same subnet or not.

All you have to do is guarantee is that the response from the server goes back through the loadbalancer.

Gilles.

Great, thanks. Does the CSM module compare well against the F5 Big/IP?

I would recommend the following test results published by veritest

http://www.lionbridge.com/NR/rdonlyres/5518CDEC-0D57-446E-8E3D-2AE73DCB7EEF/0/csm_comparison.pdf

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: