cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Numbers

pxcamp19
Level 1
Level 1

Where does ciscoworks pull the serial number from for the inventory reports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

And this will only work for those devices from which RME uses chassisId. You can also manually populate the per-device serial number in the RME attributes.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depends on the device type and software version. What devices do you have?

We have so many-switches we have 3750,3560 , 3550,3500xl,4000,4500,5500,6500 series.

Routers- anything from the 2500 to the 7500 series.

Is there any documentation that would tell us what ciscoworks pulls for each device type?

Not that I know of. RME will use chassisId from the OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB for most IOS devices. For newer device types, it may use entPhysicalSerialNum from the ENTITY-MIB. For CatOS devices, RME will use the chassisSerialNumberString from the CISCO-STACK-MIB.

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

With that mix of devices you posted... I can assure you this, is that the Serial Numbers are not all correct that are in Ciscoworks.

The ONLY way to know the inventory report is accurate is to populate the snmp variable chassis-id with the manually verified serial number. The bad, you have to physically get the SN off each device and enter in into the config. The good, you only have to do this once ;)

And this will only work for those devices from which RME uses chassisId. You can also manually populate the per-device serial number in the RME attributes.

Thanks everyone for all the information, I see I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Jus to add to this... from memory some older devices like the 2500 and Cat2900 (I think) by default return the serno of the internal processor board not the external serno. This can be changed with an snmp-server config command to over-ride the chassis-id

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco