cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Routing

mhurley131
Level 4
Level 4

I have two network entities which have multicast routing configured and working on both them. They have a link between both of them that is currently not enabled for multicast routing thus keeping the two multicast domains completely separate.

At this point I need to have multicast routing working between the both, but only on one specific address (239.0.1.2). Rather then just adding an ip pim dense-mode (sparse-mode,etc) statement to the interfaces and then routing all of the multicast addresses is there a way to route that one address between the two?

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Michael

I am not aware of a way to route the multicast between the two without enabling PIM (sparse, dense, sparsedense whichever). My suggestion would be to enable PIM (whichever mode you like) and then to apply an access list on the interfaces of this link. The access list would:

permit ip host 239.0.1.2 any

deny ip 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255 any

permit ip any any

This will have the effect of allowing your desired multicast, denying any other multicast, and permitting all other IP. Of course if you have an existing access list on these interfaces then this logic needs to be incorporated into the existing logic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I think you will also need to allow any multicasts that your routing protocols need. (Or will those bypass the access list?) Typically it should be safe to permit ip 224.0.0.0 0.0.0.255. At the minimum you will need permit ip host 224.0.0.13 to allow the PIM, plus perhaps .27 and .28 if you are running sparse-mode.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi,

Sounds to me like you need to enable PIM on the interface and then apply a multicast boundary to it.

!

access-list 10 permit host 239.0.1.2

!

int f0/0

ip multicast boundary 10

!

Depending on the version of IOS you are using you might need to specify the direction of the multicast boundary in or out.

Quick question on the multicast boundary command...

Is the access list for multicast addresses that i want to cross the boundary or for addresses that i want stopped? The documentation ive found on the command is not very clear on that.

Based on the comment here it looks like i allow only the addresses i want, but the cisco documentation make it seem like you allow the addresses you want filtered.

Hi,

In my experience i've used it to permit the multicast groups that I want allowed.

Note: If you use it on an IOS that does not specify the direction [ip multicast boundary 10 in or ip multicast boundary 10 out] then the command is bidirectional.

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Theoretically, MSDP was built for exactly your scenario. You can interconnect your multicast domains and allow only needed multicast group (e.g. using "msdp sa-filter")

Please refer to the following documents:

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/iprout/showcase?case=K19073895

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk828/technologies_design_guide_chapter09186a00800d9d4c.html

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card