Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Series numbers

sanuchakkalayil
Level 1
Level 1

Hai all,

I would like to know these things bout the cisco router series.

1.We know tht cisco ve 1700,2500,2600,2700,3800 etc series routers..Is this number 17,18,25,26 ,28 has any specific meaning? what r the basic difference between this.?

5 Replies 5

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

I would say that the numbers are somewhat arbitrary, but the lower the number the lower the capability. I would highly recommend searching around the cisco.com site for specifics about what the differences are in each architecture and also to know what exactly it is you are looking for!

Kindly let me know what exactly this number is...like 1800,2800, and so on... actully cisco having any specific reason?

Kindly let me know what exactly this number is...like 1800,2800, and so on...

just search on the cisco.com site.

actully cisco having any specific reason?

no would be a good answer. Also, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? In all reality it doesn't matter and just defines what the product line is, and that can be answered easily from looking at the cisco.com website.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I't likely Cisco has some logic to series assignment, but haven't read about it.

What I have noticed is Cisco usually seems to rank the different models into tiers of power based on the series number. Then increment series values for newer models in the same market tier. They also increment within the model of the series.

For instance market tiers of different ages:

Low-level tier - 2500 series

Mid-level tier - 4000 series

High-level tier - 7000 series

Low-level tier - 2600 series

Mid-level tier - 3600 series

High-level tier - 7500 series

Low-level tier - 2800 series

Mid-level tier - 3800 series

High-level tier - 7600 series

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

First number is a RANGE or TIER. Second number is a GENERATION from that RANGE, third and fourth is capabilities and performance of that particular Generation and Range.

RANGE E,g:

0 - up to 15 users

1 - up to 50 users

2 - up to 150 users

GENERATION:

8 - newest

7 - previous

6 - older

Capabilities and Performance:

01 - basic

20 - higher

50 - high

So if you interconnect RANGE of up to 150 users, of latest GENERATION, and high performance, you will get 2 8 50, which is 2850.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card