Views
Helpful
Replies

Can LMS run with Ethernet Teaming?

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi forum,

i have a short question that i cannot answer within my lab.

A costumer of mine wats to use a Compaq Proliant 320 with Windows Server 2003 as LMS 3.0 Server.

Is it possible to use the Ethernet Adaper teaming for highavailiability?

The Ethernet Interfaces should be connected to two differen Switches for this task.

Is this possible?

As far as i know the Compaq (or HP) Software overlays the Ethernet Interfaces with one logical MAC and IP.

I believe it is not recommended and not supported by the TAC. But i need to be sure.

;-)

Many thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Frank

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Teaming was never officially tested, and there have been anecdotal reports of failures with Teaming, but nothing that could be reliably reproduced. For best results with LMS, do not use it.

Hi Joe,

many thanks for your answer.

Thats what i expected.

;-))

What do you mean with: Could notbe reliably reproduced?

Did you encounter other errors or had no errors with you not official tests!!

Any answer to this question is definitley not official.

I just need some hints.

Btw: I had some testing (unfortunateley not with the same machine type): With the teaming option both switches get the same MAC. E.g. the switch A holds the active connection. If it fails, the connection to switch B comes up with the same MAC used on Switch A. Since both Switchports are in the same VLAN there could be a fair chance that this would work?!?

The switchover time in the case of a failure is below 0.3 sec.

Cheers,

Frank

I mean that other servers with a similar configuration did not exhibit the same problems. Since we never officially tested a Teaming configuration, we do not know if there are any caveats with how it is configured. We also didn't do the same level of troubleshooting that we would do with a supported configuration.

While Teaming may provide a more highly available server, it may cause problems with LMS. That's the best information I can provide.

Hi Joe,

fast as lighning.

;-)

Many thanks for your help and providing this forum with so many uesfull information.

Cheers,

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco