Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 5.0.1: errors in logging after running Data Collection

v.c.bodenstab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We I start a new Data Collection from Campus Manager 5.0.1 the ani.log is quickly filling up with these messages:

2007/09/17 13:34:31 EvalTask-background-18 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 9

2007/09/17 13:34:35 EvalTask-background-05 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 84

2007/09/17 13:35:31 EvalTask-background-18 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 24

2007/09/17 13:35:35 EvalTask-background-05 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 107

2007/09/17 13:36:32 EvalTask-background-18 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 803

2007/09/17 13:36:35 EvalTask-background-05 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 108

2007/09/17 13:37:32 EvalTask-background-18 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 804

2007/09/17 13:37:35 EvalTask-background-05 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 115

2007/09/17 13:38:32 EvalTask-background-18 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 806

2007/09/17 13:38:35 EvalTask-background-05 ani ERROR StpSMFGetStpInstDevice: Unable to fetch STP device instance params from device x.x.x.x for index 116

What do these messages mean and how do I fix this?

TIA!

vincent

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Not using the straight CLI. I've written a TCL script to do it provided your switch supports tclsh. Just run tclsh flash:snmp-context.tcl --help for details.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

These messages could point to an SNMP configuration problem. If you are using SNMPv1/v2c, you cannot have an '@' in your community string. If you do, things like STP analysis and User Tracking will fail. If you are using SNMPv3, you must have switches that support SNMP contexts, and your SNMPv3 group must have access to those contexts.

Hi,

I'm using SNMPv3 with a user for LMS. This user has the v1default view associated. Probably this isn't enough. Should I associate the whole internet OID tree with the LMS user?

cheers,

vincent

You need to associate the group with each VLAN context. Run "show snmp context" and add a line like:

snmp-server group mygroup v3 auth ... context vlan-6

Hi,

That's a lot of different contexts... Is it possible to assign all VLAN contexts in one go?

cheers,

vincent

Not using the straight CLI. I've written a TCL script to do it provided your switch supports tclsh. Just run tclsh flash:snmp-context.tcl --help for details.

Hi,

Thanks for the script. I didn't know TCL was supported on IOS. On all my access switches, I use ip-base 12.2.37SE1. Unfortunately TCL isn't supported on this release. So I guess I just have to do it manually.

cheers,

Vincent

TCL support didn't come for the desktop switches until 12.2(40)SE. So, yes, you will have to do the configuration manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: