cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ring Tones

scotteturner
Level 1
Level 1

On 7941 and 7961, when you go into settings - user preferences - rings, the default ring has a long list of different tones with meaningful names next to them. However, for each of the lines, you get a much smaller list and names from ring 1 to ring 7. How do I get the lines to have the same list of ring tones as the default ring does? This is VERY confusing to the users when they like several ring tones and then want to assign them to different lines.

Thanks for your help!

Scott

9 Replies 9

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

Have you configured your RingList.xml file?

The ringlist.xml file is the default one that was on the server from the install. I have done nothing to this file. If I need to change it, what do I need to change it to??

scotteturner -

You can find mine attached. The files don't need to exist to populate the list on the phone. It will just error out when it goes to play them.

I would try doing a debug ephone detail and reboot one of your phones. See if there are any error messages related to the RingList.

You'll need to add tftp-server statements for the ring tones you want to use.

Thank! This looks like the default one on the server. Why does it not pick up this list of each line, it only shows for the default line.

Do you have any errors in the Status Messages log of the phone?

Did you notice anything strange in the debug ephone detail?

isteam
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am running into the same issue.

Thanks

Make the same changes to the DistinctiveRingList.xml file (in the same directory). Also, be sure to re-start the TFTP services. And if that doesn't work, also reset the phones.

By default the ringtype option has 25 default ring and 7 line ring type options, but as you know you can edit the ring files, the one for the default rings is the RingList.xml and the one for the Line is the DistinctiveRingList.xml both files are in C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath make sure that you have the ring tone that you want for the line in the DistictiveRingList.xml file, then restart the TFTP service.

Hope this helps, if it does please rate the post.

//Jorge

Jorge is 100% right - just thought I'll add the URL to a Cisco IP Phone Q&A:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q42

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: