Views
Helpful
Replies

4506 w/ SUP-IV vs 6506e w/ SUP-32

zorric.sia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

My company is planning to move into a new building. We will be consolidating different buildings into this one location. Initially we will have 4 floors with 600 users, in the future we will assume 5 more floors and will have 2000 users.

We currently have a collocation that houses all of our critical applications. We have about 50 servers in this facility and our internet connections run through this facility. This collocation will be replaced with the new building. Judging by network traffic graphs we are no where near 1Gbps of aggregate traffic.

I'm considering purchasing either dual 4506 w/ SUP-IV or dual 6506E w/ SUP-32 for this building. I'll be running OSPF, NBAR, Netflow on the cores. I have a pair of 2821s running BGP and two ASAs.

Is the 6506e overkill for this building?

If i went with a 4506 which supervisor should i go with IV or V?

Which series switch do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

szahid
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Zorric :

One of your requirement ( NBAR ) is not supported in hardware by either sup32 or sup4.If you want to use NBAR , you should consider sup32-PISA which is a variant of sup32 with a network processor that can do NBAR in hardware at around 2 Gbps.

Thanks

Salman.

I would like the NBAR feature but it isn't a requirement.

Would you still recommend the sup32-pisa?

Hi Zorric :

If you need to carry a full BGP table on these switchs , sup32 will be a better choice since none of the 4500 sups support a full BGP table. Also keep in mind , if you plan to go with 4500 in case you do not care about the full BGP table , you still need a netflow daughter card for the Cat4500 supervisor to enable netflow.

thanks

salman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card