cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 EtherSwitch

anguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have a 2811 router with a 16 port etherswitch. I have connectivity within the vlan on my switch but I cannot reach anything off of the router interface. Below is the basic configurations of my interfaces:

f0/0 (Outside Interface) 192.168.211.1 255.255.255.252

f0/1 (not currently used)

f0/3/0-8 (Etherswitch ports) VLAN management IP - 192.168.212.1 255.255.255.0.

Do I need to configure the f0/1 interface to somehow interact with the etherswitch or is it automatic? When I try and ping my f0/0 interface I get an error from my vlan management IP.

Thanks,

Alicia

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alicia,

I have a few comments and questions that might help me understand.

1. What do you mean by "When I try and ping my f0/0 interface I get an error from my vlan management IP."

2. Your RIP has 192.168.211.0 but not 192.168.212.0. Is this intentional?

3. Your RIP also has 10.0.0.0, but I don't see any interfaces in this router that would correspond to this network statement.

4. If you do a show ip route, what do you see? Can you see the VLAN 2 connected route?

5. If you ping hosts on VLAN 2 from within the router, do you get any response? Can you see them in the show arp?

6. Is F0/3/0 actually trunking? I see it has native VLAN 1, so if you put a VLAN 1 IP address on the VLAN 1 interface, you should be able to see it from a host on VLAN 1 elsewhere in your network.

7. Are there other hosts on VLAN 2 on the switch connected to F0/3/0?

8. Is the trunk configured correctly at the other end?

Sorry I cannot point a finger at a single line and say "that's it", but I hope I have given you some leads to work on.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

What is it all about? If using type of interface number "f0/3/0-8 (Etherswitch ports)" it is not EtherSwitch Service module! It is just EtherSwitch Network Module. Is it right, Alicia?

Then it is necessary to use command 'vlan database' for configuration of VLANs on the EtherSwitch Module and to use command 'show vlan-switch' for a check.

All EtherSwitch Service Modules use internal GigabitEthernet port for connection to internal GigabitEthernet port of the router and have configuring as two different devices.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Alicia,

Here is a document with some configuration examples:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_configuration_example09186a00808066b8.shtml#step1

To route in and out of the switch, you will have to create some vlan interfaces:

interafce vlan n

ip address 192.168.212.1 255.255.255.0

etc

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I'd already configured the vlan ip and when I do a sh vlan-switch I can see that all my etherswitch ports are in the vlan 2. Can you please take a look at my config file and tell me what I've configured wrong?

Thanks,

Alicia

Use command:

Remote1#vlan database

Remote1(vlan)#show current

Is there VLAN 2 in the vlan database?

Alicia,

I have a few comments and questions that might help me understand.

1. What do you mean by "When I try and ping my f0/0 interface I get an error from my vlan management IP."

2. Your RIP has 192.168.211.0 but not 192.168.212.0. Is this intentional?

3. Your RIP also has 10.0.0.0, but I don't see any interfaces in this router that would correspond to this network statement.

4. If you do a show ip route, what do you see? Can you see the VLAN 2 connected route?

5. If you ping hosts on VLAN 2 from within the router, do you get any response? Can you see them in the show arp?

6. Is F0/3/0 actually trunking? I see it has native VLAN 1, so if you put a VLAN 1 IP address on the VLAN 1 interface, you should be able to see it from a host on VLAN 1 elsewhere in your network.

7. Are there other hosts on VLAN 2 on the switch connected to F0/3/0?

8. Is the trunk configured correctly at the other end?

Sorry I cannot point a finger at a single line and say "that's it", but I hope I have given you some leads to work on.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

There is static route in config:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/1

but "f0/1 (not currently used)"... It is very oddly...

Kevin,

Thank you for your suggestions. I cleaned up my configurations and set my F0/3/0 to trunking and everything seems to be working now.

Thanks for all your help,

Alicia

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco