Tracking Mobile Access Points on a Cart via other stationary Access Points

Unanswered Question
Sep 17th, 2007

I have a need to be able to track the location of 13 Mobile Access Points that are on a wheeled cart in a school system. The cart has APs and laptops on it and it is wheeled to different areas of the building and used. Many times it is forgotten and it's location is forgotten. The APs on this cart remain powered on and plugged in via Cat5. I have in place WCS with good maps and a Location Server as well. Client tracking is working fine but not for these APs. My current solution is not working as expected. I have 2 controllers on a WiSM blade that are the managment of the main wireless network and are in the same Mobility Domain. I have a stand alone 4402 controller that the 13 access points are attached to and the APs are advertising similar if not the same WLANS as those APs attached to the WiSM Controllers. I want the WiSM controller APs to pickup the 13 Mobile APs as Rogues and I can track their location. The APs are being detected in the controller logs on the WiSM controllers and rated as level 3 rogues and then being dropped down to level 0 and removed from the Rogue list... or so it states. All of these APs and controllers used to be in 1 big Mobility Domain but I have sense broken it up. I am wondering if the APs and controllers keep a relation history of past relations. I was told by Cisco to reboot the 4400 controller but when I did the APs moved over to the WiSM controllers which are in a differnt mobility domain? Option 43 and 60 are in place, but I still think the AP should have set there until the controller came back up. Any suggestions on how to possibly do this.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network