cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I put an amplifier to my 1310 access point

fperman1965
Level 1
Level 1

I've install 1310 access point but the signal is really weak, i was wondering if i could just add a amplifier to it?

15 Replies 15

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Not legally.

The power boost can be very dangerous as well.

Which model do you have? If the antennas are changeable, you can probably boost your apparent power with a different antenna.

Let us know

Good Luck

Scott

thanks and here are the specs:

Access Point: air-br1310g-a-k9-r.

Antenna: model: hg2408u

gain: 8dbi

frequency: 2400-2500mhz

I also used a 15dbi antenna and just a little better. I have some amplifier but afraid I might burn my access points.

Question; what sort of range are you trying to achieve and are you trying to use the 1310 and an AP (for client connections) or a bridge? If yuo are trying to use it for client connections the maximum range you can expect to get is about 200M in the open air as that's about the maximum range for the antenna in most client devices.

Answer: At HQ (Base) I setup the AP (Client) and then setup the rest of 1310's as repeaters. My first initial setup was to setup at HQ as root then the rest as client but somehow they never associate so that's why I switched to setup my base as client and repeated off that. Is this make sense to you.

thanks

That does make sense although I'm not sure that's the best configuration, be better to run the HG unit as a root bridge and the others as non-root and debug the setup until it works.

As for the lack of range, what sort of distance are you trying to cross? What's the environment (trees/buildings in line of sight?) and have you tried a carrier busy test at each location?

Line of sight is clear, nothing in the way and the distance is around 5 miles. As of the signal, i get 2 bars out of 5.

but also i have some amplifier, is it ok if i install them w/ the AP?

Amplifier; I wouldn't if I were you, you might end up with a setup which exceeded the legal limits for your region.

Did you/can you try a carrier busy test on each bridge?

DO NOT use the amplifiers.

At these frequencies, it doesn't take much power to hurt yourself (or others).

If you don't know what you are doing (you don't), you are putting yourself, and possibly other people in danger.

If you can't do it with antennas, you need some (on-site) assistance to figure out what you are doing wrong.

More power will only make a bad setup worse, and (likely as not) mess up other people's connections as well.

Don't use the amps.

Good Luck

Scott

Are both ends the same? Same APs and same antennas?

How much cable is between the AP and the Antenna?

What kind of cable?

Did you put the ends on yourself, or were they bought "pre-connectorized"?

Please let us know

Scott

Hello.

Answers:

1. both ends the same. same antennas and APs.

2. COAX and around 15 to 70feet in b/ween.

3. Yes, i put it together and test it w/ the tester.

I'm the only wi-fi company on Island. (MICRONESIA, FSM)

hope this info. will help.

Ferny

note: HG2408U-8 dbi

OK, we're much closer to understanding here ....

The problem is ~99% likely to be your coax. At these frequencies (2.4 / 5.6GHz) you must:

1) Use extremely low-loss coax of the highest quality

2) It must be perfectly terminated and protected, especially in humid/wet environments

3)It must be absolutlely as short as possible. The longer the coax is, the more signal you'll lose before gettting to the antenna. Even a good quality common-grade of coax will drop most of your signal (~85-95%) in a 70 foot run.

To top off the (probable) issue with the coax, these frequencies are highly absorbed by water in the form of rain or high humidity.

What flavor of coax (brand and model number) are you using?

Cisco has lengths of ultra low-loss coax, pre-terminated. In this case, proper termination is more important than a little extra length.

Let us know

Scott

thanks Scott

Can you please provide me the specs of the best low-loss coax preterminated?

ferny

Here's Cisco's spec sheet and some links:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/cable/release/notes/cablell.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00801c12c2.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

For any real distance, you will probably want to use the ultra low-loss cabling.

If you order from a reliable (versus a bulk / box pusher; i.e., probably not the cheapest) vendor of LMR-600, they will usually offer pre-terminated typical lengths (25, 50, 100 feet) or many can connectorize cable to specific lengths.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card