Encrypted passwords

Answered Question
Sep 18th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi

When I try to have my console and vty passwords encrypted on routers, it stays unencrypted. This leads me to believe that I need to copy an existing encrypted password from another router. I have tried with password 0 <password> password 7 <password> but none of these options want to work. And I have tried on various routers.

thanks

wvw

Correct Answer by pciaccio about 9 years 6 months ago

Try using the command:

Service Password-Encryption

on your routers. This command encrypts all the passwords by default. You should have this on all your devices by default...Good Luck..

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
pciaccio Tue, 09/18/2007 - 03:23
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Try using the command:

Service Password-Encryption

on your routers. This command encrypts all the passwords by default. You should have this on all your devices by default...Good Luck..

a.alekseev Tue, 09/18/2007 - 03:25
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

just add in your configuration

"service password-encryption"

Richard Burts Tue, 09/18/2007 - 03:25
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

wvw

Have you configured service password encryption? The things that you describe are much more complicated than they need to be. To get the passwords encrypted all you need to do is to start by configuring service password encryption and then to simply configure your console and vty passwords using the simple form of the command password

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty Tue, 09/18/2007 - 10:12
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more

BTW: If you're unaware, basic encrypted passwords are very easy to break (free tools do it quite nicely and quickly). You might want to use "enable secret" instead of "enable password".

Actions

This Discussion