Views
Helpful
Replies

Encrypted passwords

willemvwyk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

When I try to have my console and vty passwords encrypted on routers, it stays unencrypted. This leads me to believe that I need to copy an existing encrypted password from another router. I have tried with password 0 <password> password 7 <password> but none of these options want to work. And I have tried on various routers.

thanks

wvw

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Try using the command:

Service Password-Encryption

on your routers. This command encrypts all the passwords by default. You should have this on all your devices by default...Good Luck..

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Try using the command:

Service Password-Encryption

on your routers. This command encrypts all the passwords by default. You should have this on all your devices by default...Good Luck..

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

just add in your configuration

"service password-encryption"

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

wvw

Have you configured service password encryption? The things that you describe are much more complicated than they need to be. To get the passwords encrypted all you need to do is to start by configuring service password encryption and then to simply configure your console and vty passwords using the simple form of the command password

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW: If you're unaware, basic encrypted passwords are very easy to break (free tools do it quite nicely and quickly). You might want to use "enable secret" instead of "enable password".

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card