cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery failure on PIX 535

russell.kelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi for some reason TACACS+ authentication has stopped working (it works on all other devices on the network) so trying to do a password recovery on a PIX 535 running 6.3(4). Seem to fail on the first hurdle in that in will not accept the first command

monitor>interface 0

which responds with "There are no suitable interfaces installed". the PIX has a 4 port ethernet card in slot 4. The password recovery procedures also seem to contradict as it says it defaults to the inside interfce then says type "interface 0" which by default is the outside interface (with 1 being the inside). I have tried various other interface numbers but with the same result. There is no PC firewall running to confuse the issue and I have tried using the default username of pix and password - password and the configured enable password, but hitting brick walls everytime. I have tried simply putting the ip address of the interface and tftp server in case it simly defaults to interface 0 (with straight ethernet cable in interface 0 ie: top port of the 4 port card) and tried the tftp but again no joy. If I could find out the "interface ?" it wants I think it would go but then there lies the question. Any suggestions very gratefully received. (e-mail is russ01kelly@hotmail.com not as per my username)

4 Replies 4

srue
Level 7
Level 7

does your pix still boot up normally with all interfaces working properly?

Hi - thanks but I have tried that - it didnt work either.

yes the PIX is working OK,

Solution to this is there is no solution! If the PIX only has a 4 port ethernet card in it you cannot perform a password recovery. The only solution is to install at leat one single port ethernet card, then do the password recovery.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card