cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp transparent mode and pvlans

h.wall
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure pvlans on 2 6500 switches. I cannot perform any pvlans unless the switches are in vtp transparent mode. My switches which total 4 are configured with one vtp server and 3 vtp clients in one vtp domain. I would rather not make such a drastic change for a new backup network. I want to add security not take away some central managment capabilities. Does any one know a work around? Why cant a vtp server perform pvlans? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

this attached document as may other for different platforms suggestttts that transparent mode is a requirement.

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/13ew/configuration/guide/pvlans.html

HTH

Sam

nambi_gct
Level 1
Level 1

PVLAN requires more configuration than creating a normal vlan.Hence it is not possible to transport pvlan information[for example primary and secondary vlans] with VTP.That is the reason the switch needs to be in transparent mode and we need to configure PVLAN in each switch wherever it is needed.Hope you agree with me.

Yes, VTP does not have the ability to propagate the additional vlan information introduced by private vlan. So the only solution that was available was to force the user to disable VTP (transparent mode is in fact equivalent to that) when using private vlan.

The pvlan information can be carried by VTP3. So if you are using CatOS, you can use VTP3 along with private vlan. Support for VTP3 is coming soon in IOS, but I don't know exactly when.

regards,

Francois

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco