cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC Traffic through ASA5510

rpw5354
Level 1
Level 1

I need to allow an AT&T global network client vpn connection on one of our client PC's access through our ASA5510. I was given a white paper on what ports and protocols I need to allow but don't know how to go about opening up these ports and protocols. There's a note that reads, "IPSEC traffic must be allowed as well".

Port 500 UDP In and Out

Port 4500 UDO In

Protocol ESP(50) In and Out

I'd appreciate any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Randy, you could also do it through acl, the link provided by previous poster should have done the trick by creating a policy-map for ipsec pass through.

In any case, this is what I have in my pix for cisco vpn client pass through initiated from my inside network if applies.

access-list inside permit udp any any eq 500

access-list inside permit udp any any eq 4500

access-list inside permit esp any any

access-group inside in interface inside

also check your static one-to-one translations for the machine you are testing this vpn client connection from, and that the other end is allowing you through based on your public Ip info.

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

srue
Level 7
Level 7

rpw5354
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the prompt response. I apologize for not seeing that early POST about the exact same thing. After I followed the directions for allowing IPSEC traffic I continue to get Syslog ID 305006 message and the AT&T VPN will not connect. The msh reads: "regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside:" Any ideas?

Randy, you could also do it through acl, the link provided by previous poster should have done the trick by creating a policy-map for ipsec pass through.

In any case, this is what I have in my pix for cisco vpn client pass through initiated from my inside network if applies.

access-list inside permit udp any any eq 500

access-list inside permit udp any any eq 4500

access-list inside permit esp any any

access-group inside in interface inside

also check your static one-to-one translations for the machine you are testing this vpn client connection from, and that the other end is allowing you through based on your public Ip info.

Jorge Rodriguez

Could you elaborate on your last sentence about the static one-one translations from the client pc. I don't quite understand. Thank you very much.

it may not apply in your case, but will give you an example, we have clients where we have to vpn into their DMZs to give them support in our products, these outside clients only allow specific public IPs into their DMZ, so what we have is VMs server as our vpn client machines each with unique one-to-one local to public NAT translations, the othe end only allows these public IPs. In other words the other side is not wide opened to any other IPs from our public block or any other blocks, that is what I meant on the " verify one to one nat translation" .

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for your help and patience Jorge! I did manage to get the AT&T VPN Client to work.

I need to read up on NAT to fully understand its function. Thanks again and have a good day!

Randy, I am glad you got all resolved.. you are always wellcome.

Here are two very good links on NAT/PAT

ALL NAT scenarios, config examples on NAT IOS or PIX/ASA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/tk438/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

Q&A on NAT

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800e523b.shtml#intro

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

I spoke too soon about the NAT. In order for the AT&T VPN to work I needed the following Static NAT statement:

STATIC (inside,outside) interface 172.16.3.31 netmask 255.255.255.252 tcp 0 0 udp 0

When I issue this statement I get a warning

"all services terminating at outside interface are disabled interface"

The VPN client works but my VPN clients can no longer connect. If I remove the STATIC NAT command it fixes my VPN clients but breaks the AT&T VPN from 172.16.3.31

This sounds like a nat-traversal problem. Does your AT&T Client and remote peer support nat-t?

When you create that static you can no longer peer to your outside interface for your outside vpn clients, but you are able to connect with the AT&T client because nat-t is not required when you are not pat'ing. Do you have any more public addresses?

Forgive my stupidity but I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to our ASA5510 and setting it up. We only have one public ip address given to us by our ISP (Stratus Wave). I created a group object on the ASA that contains all the ip addresses given to me by the AT&T VPN people (GIGS?) I allowed ESP traffic on the outside interface using an ACL. My problem is getting the correct STATIC NAT command to accomodate the traffic for the AT&T VPN but to allow my outside VPN clients to still connect. Hope this helps!

Yes, this is what I understood.

For esp packets to go through nat you either have to use a 1 to 1 static which you did above using your outside interface or use nat-traversal. If the AT&T client or the peer which the AT&T clients are connecting to do not support nat-t, then you would have to use a 1 to 1 static so the clients are not natted. The problem with that for you is that you only have 1 public ip address, the outside interface address of your ASA. Therefore, when you create that static, any traffic directed to the outside interface address, your outside vpn clients for example, will not work as this traffic is being forwarded to the host in your static statement. Hope that makes more sense.

Thank you for clarifying. It makes perfect sense in how you worded it. I'm not familiar with nat-traversal and how to implement it though.

I verified from AT&T that their VPN does in fact support nat-t and it is turned ON in their client. Can you help me implement this using our ASA5510? Thank you!

You don't need to do anything on the ASA for outgoing vpn's. For incoming VPNs to the ASA you can enable nat-t with the command "crypto isakmp nat-traversal". You may very well already have it in there since you're not having issues with the inbound vpn clients. Maybe nat-t isn't your issue, but it sure sounded like it.

Do you want to post a sanitized config from the ASA?

edit: The important thing for nat-t in your ASA is to allow udp 4500 outbound, which it looks like you've already done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card