cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay vs. PPP Tail

mlitka
Level 2
Level 2

We have a provider-based MPLS network and the majority of our access tails are provisioned using Frame-Relay. I believe this is just a means to provide access as we aren't getting any FECNs,BECNs, etc.

I believe we may have the option to request an access tail using ppp encapsulation instead of frame relay.

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of ppp vs. frame relay when used strictly as an access medium?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In a hub-spoke design, I prefer going with frame-relay. With frame-relay, you are able to create subinterfaces thus providing a more hierarchal design.

If you are going with a point-to-point design, then you can use either access medium but go with the easiest with is ppp :)

Why do the providers seem to always default to Frame-relay? I don't ever get asked which one I want to use. Strange.

MPLS is often a many-to-many topology and frame-relay fits the bill based on the feature I explained before.

To be clear, I am talking about a Service Provider MPLS network here. When would you need more than 1 DLCI or subinterface on the CE in this situation?

With MPLS, you can configure a location to talk directly to many locations, not directly to the hub. On this case, you need more than 1 DLCI.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card