Replies

802.1t Extended System ID

onurcoskun
Level 1
Level 1

If a switch is configured with the following:

SwitchB(config)# spanning-tree extended system-id

SwitchB(config)# spanning-tree vlan 5 root primary

If SwitchA is the root bridge with a priority of 4200, i suppose SwitchB has no chance of becoming the new root.(As the new priority of SwB must be 2400-2096=104, but since the priority is in multiples of 4096 so the priority of swB infact remains unchanged)

What is the lower threshold priority for avoiding this situation? I mean what is the minimum root priority value of SwitchA so that SwitchB can take over as the new root bridge with the configuration above? Should it be 8192?

PS: I have no equipment or simulations to test the situation for the time being.

1 Reply 1

kerek
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

If both switches have the same priority set their MAC address will be the tiebreaker so if switch B has a lower MAC address that will win the election.

The bridge priority (if extended system ID is enabled) is built up from 4 bit priority and 12 VLAN ID.

Therefore the Bit 16, Bit 15, Bit 14, Bit 13 have the values of 32768, 16384, 8192, 4096.

I think the 8192 for secondary and 4096 for the primary would be OK.

Hope it helps, rate if does

Krisztian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card