Views
Helpful
Replies

Decison on 6500 or 7600

jcuena
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, and thanks in advance.

I started this conversation in another forum, but i think that i made a mistake. Apologized about it.

I have to decide about the upgrade of our hardware. And in detail, it is the hardware that interconnect us with our providers.

Now we have two 7206VXR with NPE-300, working together with HSRP (between it) and with two ISP, but it have problems of CPU and memory because it is not be able to do full BGP (memory) and with 100Mbps of VoIP traffic the CPU go to 100%.

To resolve it, we are evaluating to buy or 6500 or 7600, with a line card of 48x10/100/1000 and a flex-wan.

But we do not be sure about the real difference of buy a 6500 or a 7600 (difference of chasis properties or benefits of it), and we do not know what supervisor buy.

The last idea is buy or ONE 7600 with two supervisors "SUP720-3BXL" or "RSP720-3CXL" or "RSP720-3" (we need help about it), or buy ONE 6500 with two "SUP720-3BXL".

In summary, the requirements is do FULL BGP (now and in a years) and a throughput at least 100Mbps++ (mainly Voip with small packets) and with connection to two ISP (it is not transit).

The equipament have not VPN, or ACLs or any more configuration.

I do not known if a explain it correctly, but i will be very thankful

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

i would prefer going on with Cisco 7600 series router with sup 720-3bxl redundant sups.

for more info on the sup/chassis capability details would suggest to refer the respective datasheets of the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/prod_models_comparison.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

regds

Many thanks.

But, why do you prefer 7600 instead of 6500 chasis? What is the main differences?

And about the sups, if i select 720-3bxl, will i have problems with the service planned for those routers?

Best regards.

PS:I have a million questions that to clarify to make the decision. SORRY.

hi

Till now there are no major differences between the boxes but from now on both the boxes will fall in different space Cisco 7600 touted to be a routing device and 6500 a switching device.

Also till now the software trains for both the boxes are same and off late there has been different versions been released for both the device models.

WRT SUP i have seen 720-3bxl capable of handling and working without much of hassels in couple of the METRO-E environments out here.

regds

Thanks in advance.

On which there are saying to me, I understand that Cisco thought about the 7600 like router, and the ios and all the others will improve in that line.

That is that if I want it so that their main task is to make router, better 7600. But 6500.

Is it ok?

Best regards

you can make use of 6500 with different modules (CSM/FWSM etc.,) as a core switch in your DCN enviornment.

but for pure routing purpose go ahead with Cisc 7600 box.

regds

Can you explain me "pure routing"?

And in the other hand, i want to know something about the supervisors like the experience with services like the two or more ISP, BgP and Voip or a lot of traffic, because i think that my problems are more common.

I have to be sure in the supervisor and chasis.

Thanks in advance.

hi

i quoted pure routing keeping routing protocols and other features like MPLS etc., in mind.

regds

One of the big differences is that 6500 is hardware platform, where as 7600 is a software one. In hardware platforms, what is not encoded in hardware (ASICed) will run very slowly, while software platforms are very capable of being upgraded and using their raw power for multipurpose tasks. I know that when 6506 is not hardware enabled for NBAR, it will have a very hard time NBARrring 100Mbps, although software platforms will handle task with ease.

Another consideration point is module support. You will have a harder time connecting different media types to 6500 than to 7600.

Cisco devices are not just a stupid box, there are layers upon layers of functionality.

Even manager, NBAR, IP SLA, TCL... etc etc. It all comes down to your needs and how are you going to use the device during it's life time.

Since I have experience only with 6500 but not 7600, here are several interesting modules for 6500 that i'm not sure if 7600 will support:

Content Service Switch, Media Gateway, Wireless Service Module and ASA(the new PIX).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As a side note, since you already have a 7206VXR chassis, have you also considered just upgrading to a faster processor, such as the NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 (or possibly the NSE-1)? If you desire a "new" box, you might also consider the new 7201, the 7301 or the 7304 using the NSE-100 or NSE-150.

PS:

On 6500 vs. 7600, today they are more or less the same chassis with some overlap in line card support. You might have noticed that the line cards supported varies between the two with the 6500 having more LAN cards (including service modules) and the 7600 more WAN cards. They also differ with software. For you, the normal recommendation would be for a 7600 since the primary purpose appears to be WAN Internet routing. Also in this role, the smaller chassis such as the 7603-S might do using a sup-32 (the ports on the sup might eliminate your need for additional Ethernet ports). (Don't know whether the sup32-PISA is supported on 7600 but if it is something to consider if you want to inspect your Internet traffic.) If you want to go with the faster sup720/rsp720, I would recommend the rsp720 since it has a bit newer pfc/msfc, but unlikely that you need the XL variant.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card