Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MFC not working

maybe i could be wrong. but seems after upgrade from 5.1.1 to 5.1.2 then not working.

true?

6 Replies 6

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

We have upgraded to 5.1.2 and MFC is still working.

igor.karasik
Level 1
Level 1

We upgraded to 5.1.2 and MFC working as well

gsc_ironport
Level 1
Level 1

This combination works fine for us.

Check your MFC version, we had major (performance) issues with MFC 1.3 and previous AsyncOS versions. As soon as we upgraded to MFC 1.4 these issues were gone.

pvdberg00
Level 1
Level 1

What is the size of the database ? What is the period you keep the data ?

This is what support once wrote to me:

> I am not sure if we can recover from this. MFC is rated to a hard
> maximum database size of 200gigs. You are way over this and as such,
> anything can happen. The purger is the only way to delete old records,
> and since your database is so much larger than the limits, it's
> unlikely to ever catch up or function correctly.
>
> My recommendation would be to set up a new MFC machine, limit it to
> 170Gb of database size and start it importing the logs.
>
Is there a problem with importing the log files or is there somethingelse ?

kluu_ironport
Level 2
Level 2

Upgrading the AsyncOS on the Ironport appliance should be independent of MFC.

You may just be having an increase in mail volume which in turn may be impacting the mail logs.

Though this recommendation is best for first time implementation of MFC, you can still apply it if you have MFC already running.

In the example below, it assumes that you have a log called "mail_logs" of 95mb size that you have configured in MFC to pull and put in the database. You would basically leave "mail_logs" alone and create a different log to be used for MFC. The logs for MFC would be smaller in size and easier to import into the database.

In other words, "mail_logs" would be used for grepping and for Technical Support. "mfc_logs" would be used for MFC only.

------------

For implementation of Mail Flow Central for the first time, here are some recommendations/guidelines:

1. Create a separate log on the Ironport appliance solely for MFC purposes.

By default, the "mail_logs" are 95 MB in size. That is not optimal for importing into the MFC program. Also, depending upon your mail volume, 95 mb may take awhile to fill up a log.

The recommendation is to create another log on the Ironport appliance.

- Go to "System Administration > Log Subscriptions"
- Click on "Add new log", select the "Ironport Text Mail Logs" type
- Enter the log name to be "mfc_logs"
- Set the size of the log to be, 10 MB in size. This is optimal for importing into the MFC database and will allow the MFC program to be more current on mail transactions.
- Maximum Number of Files: 50
- The other values are fine as default values and can be kept as is.

2. In your MFC application, when it prompts for the log name, use "mfc_logs". See #1 above.

3. By default, the MFC application is set to retain 30 days of mail traffic. We would recommend that you do not increase beyond 30 days. The specificaitons for MFC was designed for one million messages a day for 30 days, which comes to about 30 million database entries. This is the optimal setting for purging and searching of data. Increasing the number of days beyond 30 days may slow down your purging and searching of data.

maybe i could be wrong. but seems after upgrade from 5.1.1 to 5.1.2 then not working.

true?

true?

sorry for my ignorance. mistaken the url http://mfc:8080 as http://mfc:8000...

surprising 8080 does answer http protocol.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: