Finally passed 640-801

Unanswered Question
Sep 20th, 2007

Finally got this thing today! Wow, what a feeling. I don't know what I would have done if I would have failed again.

The exam was difficult. The key for me was re-reading the questions and answers. Cisco makes sure you know the material.

Thanks for all the support!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
asalascisco Thu, 09/20/2007 - 11:51

So what do you think was the hardest topic to overcome? I'm scheduled to take my test in the next 30 days before the change and I'm a bit worried. So I'm trying to study as much as possible (time permitting) and doing the practice test that came with my books.

greekgeek Thu, 09/20/2007 - 12:00

That's kind of a difficult question.

My overall comment is that the folks who write for this exam really do an excellent job ensuring you understand the underlying concepts as well as the details. Many questions really tested multiple topics at the same time. I know, that sounds a bit intimidating, but it's true.

I won't indicate specific topics that were "stronger" than others due to the non-disclosure that I signed. I will say the following general statements:

Know your show and debugs commands

Read the question more than once!

Read the answers more than once!

Don't spend more than 10 minutes on a given simulation.

Be prepared to subnet very quickly

Don't neglect any area of study!

This exam was a mile wide and almost a mile deep, in my opinion. I feel as if I really understand this stuff - and that makes it all the more valuable.

Good luck!

walter_oq Thu, 09/20/2007 - 12:33

I am preparing to take the 640-801 examination in 20 days. This will be my second attempt. As you've just made it I'd like to know what mateerial you've used for your preparation. I've based my preparation in Sybex's book author: Todd Lamle and CertSim Software. Do you think I need to look at more studying sources in order to get better prepared for the exam?

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

greekgeek Thu, 09/20/2007 - 13:52

Primarily, I used the Wendell Odom official books. They are thorough and readable and I think he covers everything quite well.

I used the Boson router simulation software and I think it was more than adequate to prepare me.

About two months ago I found out about the Bryant Advantage and purchased that package. That was a real help as Chris succinctly packaged all the information and his material is the only reason I felt confident on the many "show" and "debug" commands I was thrown at today.

Finally, Paul Browning with "" was what pushed me over the edge. His subnetting chart had me subnetting very, very fast, even some in my head. I am very appreciative of Paul and his stuff.

I bought the Lammle book but didn't think he covered everything well enough.

asalascisco Thu, 09/20/2007 - 14:31

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of information I needed. I am trying to cover all areas of study, and following the suggested path in my Intro and ICND book for the 640-801. I have a lot of hands on experience, and the most challenging part for me has been subnetting so I'm reviewing this quite a bit.... :)

greekgeek Thu, 09/20/2007 - 16:03

Well, you will be fine then because I had no hands on experience! That was the biggest challenge for me.

crunchyhippo Thu, 09/20/2007 - 12:47

I'm happy for you. I wish I knew the feeling of passing; failed twice now. Still trying.

greekgeek Thu, 09/20/2007 - 13:49

Oh, don't feel badly! This was not my first attempt at all!

akimalijbsk8r Thu, 09/20/2007 - 22:30

CONGRATS GREEKGEEK! I remember your last post. You sounded like the wind was almost completely out of your sails. Glad to hear that you nailed it!

This Discussion