Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client for Vista 64 bit

aubrey.blazey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are starting to develop 64bit .NET applications on Vista 64 bit and have just discovered that we cannot connect to our remote servers. This MS page states that the VPN client will not support 64 bit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929490

Is this the case? As our infrastructure is all based on Cisco router and PIX, I find it dificult to comprehend that Cisco are not supporting their latest platforms?

Thanks,

Aubrey

4 Replies 4

We also have read the Microsoft release and cannot use the Cisco AnyConnect client because every device we own is pre ASA hardware including severa PIX 525's which we will not upgrade just to use the new client.

This seems again like a forced upgrade by Cisco. Rather than do this our plan is to use managed MPLS solutions by our provider and they don't use Cisco and DO have 64 bit OS VPN support.

If Cisco can get me a client then maybe they can keep our business.

You could install the free microsoft's Virtual PC software and create a virtual PC running XP and use the XP version of the VPN Client.

Drawback: it is slightly slower but biggest advantage is that you will not lose your local network connections on your PC. The virtual PC can access your local PC drive.

Please rate if the post helps!

Regards,

Michael

We cannot tell our users to keep two sets of applications such as Outlook for when they are on VPN and when they are local to the office. Plus Sourcesafe would have to be installed in both places so I cannot tell a developer to code in Virtual PC when he's trying to develop on x64.

BUT I have heard a little bird state that the newer AnyConnect that does support x64 will be getting an IPSec facelift on it's next release. I just need to know when now because we are getting hounded by developers.

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

February 18, 2010
Due to popular demand, the Cisco VPN Client v5.0.7 open beta is now available!
In addition to serving as a general maintenance release, the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.7 beta is compatible with Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit environments. 
A 64-bit specific compatible image is available for installation on these platforms.

Please have communicate feedback (both positive and problems) to cvc-beta@cisco.com.

Key Capabilities available for Beta Testing:
New Platform support – Windows 7 & Windows Vista 64-bit platform compatibility
Software Access: http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/Redirect.x?mdfid=281940730 (under 5.BETA)
Software is available for download by any customer with a Cisco.com SMARTnet™ enabled login.
Release Notes will be available next week via a link once the download image is selected.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: